Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Im Sooo Confussed, Oneway or Stubby lathe

george wrote:

Oddly, greater rigidity is touted as one of the advantages of the steel
lathe over iron. I guess it's a bit more of the grinding controversy
all
over again.

Though with stands almost universally cheesier than the lathe, I'm
betting
it's the stand that makes the difference.

"cindy drozda" wrote in message

I'm curious that no one responding to this post has said anything

about
the "welded vs. cast" question. The Stubby is a cast

iron/steel machine,
and the OneWay is welded up from tubing and plate. I have never

used a
OneWay myself, but have heard a number of pro turners say that they

don't
like to turn for long periods of time on the OneWay because of the
harmonic vibration in the weldments. Supposedly cast iron is better

at
dampening vibration.

I live a couple of hours away from the Stubby manufacturer and have just put a
deposit on a 1000. I have to wait 3 months but am very excited. I am sure I
have made a good decision but enjoyed this thread.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

--

Getting a new lathe is always a bit like Christmas when you were a kid. Congrats.