MCR

Default Stubby S750 vs Oneway 2016/2416

I need your input. I am buying one of the three.
Jim M

Well, I have a Oneway and am very happy with the lathe. If you were to get a
Oneway, I would recommend the 2416 as opposed to the 2016 as its only $250
more for the extra capacity.
Since you are talking about the 16's, I would assume you are looking at it
primarily for bowls. If you are planning on doing hollow forms, the 2436
might be a good choice as it would give you plenty of room for a large
boring bar system.
As to the Stubby, I can't say. They are a excellent lathe, but I've not used
one as yet. If I were to get a second large lathe in addition to my Oneway,
it would probably be a Stubby.

"MCR" wrote in message
om...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

Derek Hartzell

If you have room, another possibility is a Oneway 2436 with 17" bed
extension. You can add it on to get 53" between centers or put it outboard
to have a shortbed lathe. Then you don't have to slide the tailstock on and
off the lathe and you can work over a shorter bed.

william_b_noble

the stubby will turn larger diameter - by a lot, inboard. is this important
to you? the one-way has very cool looking brass knobs and stuff and looks
"sleeker" - is this important to you? Both lathes are well made, but they
are very distinctly different.

"MCR" wrote in message
om...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

Leif Thorvaldson

Be afraid! Be very afraid, MCR. Bill is trying to lure you into the
clandestine Stubby Owners Group (SOG). Next thing you know you'll be
sending a large amount of money to a John Jordan residing in the hinterlands
of Tennessee and obtaining a Stubby lathe, the secret handshake, the magic
wood decoder ring and the secret web address of the SOG. Be warned! *G*

Leif
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

If you want to know what a lot of owners think of the Stubby, let me
know.

Bill

Most purchasers of the 750 don't get the "secret handshake".In order to
receive this you have to supply John with a name/number of a vestal
virgin..Not too many around...Seriously,I had the same dilemma when
searching for my upgrade and for the money I could find no better than the
750...I did try the 2436 of a friend but found I didn't need/want the bed in
the way for bowls and hollow forms..The 750 is so versatile you don't have
to "ride the ways" to work on hollow forms...I absolutely love mine and the
customer service from John is impeccable...jmo,Rick
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
Be afraid! Be very afraid, MCR. Bill is trying to lure you into the
clandestine Stubby Owners Group (SOG). Next thing you know you'll be
sending a large amount of money to a John Jordan residing in the

hinterlands
of Tennessee and obtaining a Stubby lathe, the secret handshake, the magic
wood decoder ring and the secret web address of the SOG. Be warned! *G*

Leif
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

If you want to know what a lot of owners think of the Stubby, let me
know.

Bill

Bill Rubenstein

In article ,
says...
[...]

Good idea above -- try befory you buy. I'm sure that there is a Oneway
owner near you if you haven't tried one yet. And, if we know where you
are the Stubby folks can help you find the closest one of those.

That said... I had turned for several days on a big Oneway. My Stubby
is one of the earliest ones in the US, though, so I bought it on the
say-so of John Jordan without having been able to use it. I like both
lathes but I like the Stubby better.

I'm always happy to let a potential owner use my machine for a while.

Bill
Ray Sandusky

Buy the Stubby - I did!

I have had my Stubby for 3 weeks and am loving it! I never dreamed that a
lathe could be so versitile, powerful and comfortable to use. Plus, I must
say that John Jordan is a gem to deal with - no messing around and no
nonsense - he shoots straight and is willing to assist - always.

Ray Sandusky

"MCR" wrote in message
om...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

Tim Yoder

I went through the same decision making process. I was fortunate
enough to get to turn on both a Oneway and a Stubby 750. Both machines
are great but the Stubby fit my needs better. It takes up less space
and has a much larger swing than the Oneway. I especially liked the
ability to hollow out a bowl or vessel without having to lean over the
bed of the lathe.

If you are like me, you have looked over the entire web to see good
shots of the Stubby. They are out there but hard to find. In order to
help the next potential Stubby owner I just posted an article about my
Stubby on our club's website www.wneo.com. The direct link to the
article is http://www.wneo.com/stubby_1000_lathe.htm

I wound up getting the 1000 because some members of the Stubby group
mentioned that they liked having the 20" swing over the bed. It gives
them that extra room for those out of round blanks and offset
turnings. The 1000 also gives you a 44" inboard swing with the bed
pulled back. Don't think I will test that anytime soon but I know if I
have the urge I won't have to upgrade to find out.

Good luck,

Tim Yoder
yoda325 at cox dot net

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message ...
Buy the Stubby - I did!

I have had my Stubby for 3 weeks and am loving it! I never dreamed that a
lathe could be so versitile, powerful and comfortable to use. Plus, I must
say that John Jordan is a gem to deal with - no messing around and no
nonsense - he shoots straight and is willing to assist - always.

Ray Sandusky

"MCR" wrote in message
om...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

Andi Wolfe

Tim - nice article!

I'll add my endorsement for the Stubby 750. I love this lathe!
Oneway makes an excellent product and I have many woodturning friends
who are very happy with their Oneway lathes. I've also enjoyed
working on the Oneway lathes when I've done demonstrations for
woodturning clubs, but I found the Stubby lathe to fit my needs and
workspace limitations when I was in the market for a lathe. What I
value the most about the Stubby lathe is its small footprint. I have
a very small shop, and the versatility of being able to change the
configuration of the lathe without increasing the footprint was a key
selling point for me. I'm not particularly mechanically-inclined, but
I've been able to use the Stubby Lathe without any difficulty or
frustrations. I'll second the endorsement already made about John and
Vicki Jordan's customer service reputation. They're terrific people
and very helpful when you need some answers.

Andi Wolfe
simcha evron

(Tim Yoder) wrote in message . com...
[...]

"MCR" wrote in message
om...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

hi, in my opinion its much easier to lean on a lathe and hollow out
rather then trying to balance yourself without any support. so im
rooting for the oneway. simcha.
G. McCoy

Been there done that. Now I own the STUBBY and wouldn't part with it..
"MCR" wrote in message
om...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

Bill Rubenstein

In article ,
says...
[...]

"MCR" wrote in message
om...
I need your input. I am buying one of the three.

hi, in my opinion its much easier to lean on a lathe and hollow out
rather then trying to balance yourself without any support. so im
rooting for the oneway. simcha.

Sorry but I lean on the lathe more than anybody you know. And, I own a
Stubby.

Bill
Leo Lichtman

A friend of mine has both. He seems very happy. So, why not get both and
avoid the difficult decision? BTW, I love my Stubby 750. The One-way would
have required me to get rid of my printing press, because of the room it
takes--not an option at the time.

Dave Peebles

Hello Leo,

I have heard this mentioned many times, exactly what is the footprint on the
Stubby?

Thanks,
Dave

David Peebles
Lyons, Ohio
Revolutions Woodturning
www.bowlturner.com

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
A friend of mine has both. He seems very happy. So, why not get both and
avoid the difficult decision? BTW, I love my Stubby 750. The One-way

would
have required me to get rid of my printing press, because of the room it
takes--not an option at the time.

Rusty Myers

I just measured my s750 lathe and stand. It is 28" x 36". If you add in
motor overhang, then 28" x 46". That is with the bed in closed position.
Since the legs flare a little bit in the front and back, that dimenison
would increase slightly if you raise the stand (adjustable legs) or decrease
if you lower it. You need to add another 6" of clearance for the knockout
bar, plus about 18" for the bed being extended for the maximum it takes up.
I have mine with the headstock towards the wall and the tailstock in the
middle of the room. That gives me plently of room to work around that end.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

"Dave Peebles" wrote in message
Hello Leo,

I have heard this mentioned many times, exactly what is the footprint on

the
Stubby?

Thanks,
Dave

David Peebles
Lyons, Ohio
Revolutions Woodturning
www.bowlturner.com

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
A friend of mine has both. He seems very happy. So, why not get both

and
avoid the difficult decision? BTW, I love my Stubby 750. The One-way

would
have required me to get rid of my printing press, because of the room it
takes--not an option at the time.

MCR

MORE HELP