Bertie Pittman

Default Jet Mini Motor Overheating Problem

I was using my wife's Jet Mini 6 speed lathe today and the motor got
very hot. It was too hot to touch and I could smell a strange smell
coming from inside the motor.

I had been turning for about 2 hours. I was making ring holders from
red cedar. I didn't do any aggressive roughing or hollowing and I
was using sharp tools and cutting ribbons from the cedar.

There was a lot of shavings built up around the lathe and the motor.
I usually turn on a Delta and don't have to worry about the shavings
collecting around the motor so I wasn't paying much attention to the
shavings.

I'm wondering if the reason for this happening was because it
couldn't get enough air flow to keep it cool. And I'm hoping that once
it cools it will run correctly and not over heat.

Although my wife bought the lathe about 2 years ago it only has maybe
10 or 12 hours of use and only used for pens and small turnings.

Any of you all that turn on the Jet mini ever had any experiences
like this with this lathe motor? Any ideas from you guys that know
more about electric motors than I do?

Thanks for any information.

Bertie

Rusty Myers

It's good to clear the chips away every once in a while. If you add a
couple of blocks under the feet to lift if up that can really help.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

"Bertie Pittman" wrote in message

[...]

Barry N. Turner

My Jet Mini has never overheated, but you ought to watch those shavings and
clear them away before they build up. The motor-under-bed design is not the
best as there is insufficient clearance for the chips to fall away on their
own. They have to be cleared manually. You might want to use an air hose
frequently. If you don't have a compressor, buy a can of "canned air" from
the computer store. It works very well for clearing chips. (You don't have
to listen to the compressor either!"

Barry
[...]

Bertie Pittman

load up the motor. It sounds like you may have a bad set of bearings
in the motor, but you didn't mention any abnormal noise. Is there any?

Hey Bruce,

There was no noise. The first indication I had of something being
wrong was a hesitation and slow start when I turned it on.

At any rate I've waited several hours now giving the motor time to
cool down. I just tried it again and I'm afraid the motor is shot.
It was slow starting and on the second attempt it started but ran in
reverse.

I know that sounds crazy but it ran in both directions. At least it
did for a few minutes. I removed the belt and it did the same thing
running free. There was no noise but after about a minute I could see
a lot of smoke coming out of it on from the headstock end and a very
strong smell of buring plastic. Looks like I'll have to order a new
motor if I'm to use the Jet mini cause even though it's low on hours
that motor is bad.

Peter Teubel

It seems tha Jet used cheap motors in alot of their tools (cheap as in the internal windings). I have a Jet mini and, yes, the
motor gets hot. I also have 2 Jet 1236 lathes and those, too, get hot...REALLY hot. A few months ago, I got a Jet 20" bandsaw
(2hp, 220v) and after an hour of cutting it, too, gets hot....as in you-get-a-burn-it-you-touch-it-hot.

I had a Relient DD90 that I replaced the motor in with a Delta 1.5hp. I would go on a bowl blank sawing jag for 4 hours at a time.
Never even shut it off. The motor BARELY got warm.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Harry B. Pye

I just tried it again and I'm afraid the motor is shot.
It was slow starting and on the second attempt it started but ran in
reverse.

You may have a bad capacitor. If it is like my Delta Midi, there is a
capacitor on the motor that can be seen from the rear of the lathe. I think
this is always in the circuit as I never hear a centrifigul switch clicking
when the lathe starts. Should be a lot cheaper to replace than the motor.

walter

you may have a moter problem but that has happened before
with the lathe and no ill effects suffered. make sure you
vacuum out around the fan housing on the right end of the
moter. and then take notice when you are turning to move
the shavings away. Walter

[...]

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Bertie Pittman wrote:

At any rate I've waited several hours now giving the motor time to
cool down. I just tried it again and I'm afraid the motor is shot.
It was slow starting and on the second attempt it started but ran in
reverse.

I know that sounds crazy but it ran in both directions. At least it
did for a few minutes. I removed the belt and it did the same thing
running free. There was no noise but after about a minute I could see
a lot of smoke coming out of it on from the headstock end and a very
strong smell of buring plastic. Looks like I'll have to order a new
motor if I'm to use the Jet mini cause even though it's low on hours
that motor is bad.

Hi Bertie. My Delta midi experienced this very same problem a few months
after I got it. The capacitor on the motor (under the hump housing) was
shot. Since it was under warranty the entire motor was replaced, but if
it hadn't been within the covered period it would have been pretty
inexpensive and simple to just replace the capacitor. (Ought to be under
$10.)
william_b_noble

agree that the intial problem is probably a shorted cap (or if this is a cap
start motor, a jammed centrifugal switch) - but if you let it run and
overheated the windings, then you've let the magic smoke out and the motor
really is toast. Start by removing the cap entirely and see what happens
(don't leave it powered long). If it doesn't smoke, then turn it on again
and spin the motor by hand (or spin first then power on wihile it's still
spinning) - if it comes up to speed, and keeps running OK, then you are in
luck, replace the cap. If not, motor is toast.

I'd suggest using a full sized washing machine motor if you can figure out
how to mount it - don't remember in detail how the jet is laid out. the
'full sized' motor is both cheaper (probably free) and better

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Bertie Pittman wrote:

[...]

George

That's why it ran in reverse. Capacitor boost determines direction.

Also an indication that the motor might have been overloaded. Capacitor
kicks in when the motor tries to get up to speed. Had an undervoltage
situation with the power company a few years back that ate the well motor
and washing machine, but unless you're on a truly crummy Rural Electric,
should not be a factor there.

As Bill noted, you can take out the cap, clean out the dirt and act as the
starter. If you see a bunch of dark in there where the windings have lost
their varnish, stop. If not, perhaps just a bit of smell, spin the motor
and see how it does unloaded. Could be you caught it in time.

"Harry B. Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
I just tried it again and I'm afraid the motor is shot.
It was slow starting and on the second attempt it started but ran in
reverse.

You may have a bad capacitor. If it is like my Delta Midi, there is a
capacitor on the motor that can be seen from the rear of the lathe. I

think
this is always in the circuit as I never hear a centrifigul switch

clicking
when the lathe starts. Should be a lot cheaper to replace than the motor.

Tom Storey

EXACTLY the same problem. A build up of shavings around the motor - BAD.

Cheers, Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.
[...]

Chuck

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:10:00 GMT, "Tom Storey"
wrote:

EXACTLY the same problem. A build up of shavings around the motor - BAD.

Interesting. I have an "Old School" Jet mini, with one speed and a
stretchy little belt. Half the time there are so many shavings around
the motor I can't even find it, and it's been running flawlessly,
almost daily, for nearly 3 years now.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Bertie Pittman

Default Jet Mini Motor Overheating Problem Update

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:50:42 -0400, Bertie Pittman
wrote:
I was using my wife's Jet Mini 6 speed lathe today and the motor got
very hot.

Thank all of you that responded to my question about the Jet motor
problem. Those of you that were suspecting the capacitor were right.

The smoke was coming from the capacitor because it was melting. It
also appeared to be leaking some kind of substance that had melted
and looked like hardened chewing gum.

I did like Bill suggested in his post and the motor will start and
run. It seems like it comes up to speed and there is no smell. But
I'm confused. Is that a start or run capacitor?

It is difficult to see inside to evaluate if the windings were
damaged because I'm only able to see through the hole where the wires
that hooked to the capacitor were routed, unless i were to disassemble
the motor. It seems to run just fine with out the capacitor. And it
will start without me hand starting it although sometimes it will go
in the wrong direction.

As general information for other Jet mini lathe owners, I don' t feel
that the shavings build up caused this to happen. But there has been
some good suggestions as far as how to clear them when using the
lathe. I especially like Barry's suggestion for using air.

George's idea of low power may have been the problem, I don't know for
sure. I was running the lathe and a grinder on the same circuit at
the same time and that may have been the problem but I didn't see any
indication of anything wrong.

I am presently searching for a source of supply for the capacitor. I
think I can install it myself. I'll need to order it and I will post
my results after I get it and put it in.

It's really very nice to have a newsgroup with such helpful people.
Again thank you all very much for your help.

Bertie

George

Good. The asphalt or whatever is just from the Cap meltdown, I'm sure.

Not sure how you're wired, but mostly the cap starts (direction), and kicks
back in if the centrifugal switch gets tripped at low rpm. On the cap start
/ cap run types, you'll normally have two caps for a mock 3-phase.