Pain Devine

Default The first rule of woodturning...

I think we can all agree that the first rule of woodturning is that you
NEVER ask someone what they want... You tell them what you can make, give
them a list, and then let them pick from that list what they'd like... you
know like a bowl, or a pen, or candle sticks... or whatever....

Well, I met a pretty girl, and I wasn't thinking... and I broke the rule. It
was my own dumb fault. But she had such a pretty smile and she danced oh so
well... and I just said "Oh yea, I'm really into wood working and
woodturning... what would you like me to make you?" and she thought about it
for a second and then said "An Ice Cream scoop!!!"

Oh for the love of god... an ice cream scoop? How the hell am I going to
make that? I was thinking there might be a kit out there that would allow
you to just slip a turned wood handle onto it... but OH NO... no sucha thing
out there... Any ideas guys? I really like seeing this girl smile.

f/256

"Pain Devine" wrote in message

Oh for the love of god... an ice cream scoop? How the hell am I going to
make that? I was thinking there might be a kit out there that would allow
you to just slip a turned wood handle onto it... but OH NO... no sucha

thing
out there... Any ideas guys? I really like seeing this girl smile.

Buy the best ice cream scoop you can find and present it to her on a turned
piece (bowl, plate, box, etc) maybe one of this fancy defrosting ones
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...82268?v=glance

Now, are you sure she didn't say: "a scoop of your ice cream"? ;-)

richard king

Hello Pain,

Sorry to say I don't have a suggestion but this story was so cute I laughed
out loud all by myself. I then sent a copy to all my family. Oh man how us
guys love the pretty ladies. If it makes you feel any better I would have
do the same thing.

Richard in South Carolina

[...]

Harry B. Pye

Pain,

Oh for the love of god... an ice cream scoop? How the hell am I going to
make that? I was thinking there might be a kit out there that would

allow
you to just slip a turned wood handle onto it... but OH NO... no sucha
thing out there... Any ideas guys? I really like seeing this girl smile.

Here is a way to make a scoop but it may not be functional for ice cream.
Last weekend I saw a turning demonstration by Eli Avisera. (He is great. If
you ever have an opportunity to see him, don't pass it up.) He made a couple
mini scoops but the same principles could be applied to larger scoops.

He turned a ball with a handle, all in one piece. If you have trouble
visualizing this, think of a lollipop with a fancy handle. You could do this
between centers and when done, just part it off. I would suggest doing all
or most of the finishing before parting it off.

He remounted the piece with the ball in a chuck and with the other end
slightly off center. He turned a bit off the very end of the handle which
added some interest to the shape. Mounting the ball in a chuck represents a
problem. It is almost guaranteed that the jaws will mark the sides of the
ball. I solved this by making a chuck out of PVC pipe. Just find the right
size for your application.

Next, loosen the jaws, and rotate the piece so the handle is pointing
straight up (or straight down) so it is at a right angle to the length of
the lathe. It should fit between the jaws of the chuck. I cut a notch in one
end of the PVC pipe so the handle could swing in there. Then hollow out the
ball just like it was a bowl. Sand and finish and you have a turned scoop.
Doing it probably doesn't take much longer than I've spent composing this
deathless prose!

Hope this helps,

Harry

Bart V

Any ideas guys? I really like seeing this girl smile.
uh, you could uh, turn her some toys...
-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**

Geordie2

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:29:29 -0500, "Pain Devine"
wrote:

I think we can all agree that the first rule of woodturning is that you
NEVER ask someone what they want...
(snip)

I always thought the first rule of woodturning was never to run your
fingers through your hair while drinking coffee...G

Geordie

Pain Devine

Hmmm.... I didn't think of turning it sideways... I guess it depends on
weather I can get the handle to fit in between the jaws of the chuck... this
might work... I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

"Harry B. Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
Pain,

[...]

Harry B. Pye

Is this in Raffan's "Turning Projects"?

I don't know. I don't have the book. I saw this demonstrated by Eli Avisera
last Sunday. He make a couple small ones with the bowl about the size of
your thumb.

As an alternative, you could turn the scoop the way Ruth Niles does. She
makes the handle and scoop separately and then glues them together. Ruth
demonstrated this technique for the Lehigh Valley Woodturners a couple years
ago. Pictures of this demo can be found at
http://lehighvalleywoodturners.com/page67.html

Hope this helps,

Harry

Bruce Ferguson

Reading Raffans books and watching his tapes, to make a scoop to me looks
like a goblet with a thicker stem and the top cut off. depending how much
you cut with a band saw, change from a scoop for flour to a scoop for ice
cream. if nothing else you can give her fancy fire wood.

Bruce
"Adrien" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Doc Font

In article ,
"Pain Devine" wrote:

Oh for the love of god... an ice cream scoop? How the hell am I going to
make that? I was thinking there might be a kit out there that would allow
you to just slip a turned wood handle onto it... but OH NO... no sucha thing
out there... Any ideas guys? I really like seeing this girl smile.

So quit complaining, go over to ebay and do a search for ice cream
scoops. Pick one with a plastic handle and replace it with one you made
on the lathe. Like this one for instance;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3&item=6107081
712&rd=1

Bernadette

unknown

I think you can find info on how to make a jig and also
turn a scoop that could easally be made into an ice cream
scoop. The book is woodturning Methods Mike Darlow cant lay
my hands on my copy or i would give the the page No. Walter

[...]

Pain Devine

My bandsaw SUCKS! I got the cheapest one... like $200. I should've spent
more because it's worthless....

oooo wait.... an idea just popped into my head.... I know how I'm gonna do
it now. I'm not using the bandsaw.... I make the handle, with the ball like
you said... then turn it around and put the handle in the chuck. Hollow out
the ball so it's sorta like a goblet, then use a dremmel or something to
split the goblet in half.

I'm going to waste soo much wood on this thing. I'm going to use something
cheap like oak.

william_b_noble

1. do't use oak, use maple or ash
2. My bandsaw is probably cheap like yours, but it cuts fine - the cut is
more a function of the blade than anything else - and maybe having some
quality guides - I think I paid more for the guides than I did for the whole
saw.
3. if you turn a goblet, you don't need to turn it around - turn the bowl,
then the handle, then part off, use a HAND SAW (not the band saw) tu cut it
or you may split it - use a fairly fine blade. Remember to leave the walls
thicker than you would for a goblet, also leave the stem pretty thick or it
will break.

"Pain Devine" wrote in message
My bandsaw SUCKS! I got the cheapest one... like $200. I should've spent
more because it's worthless....

oooo wait.... an idea just popped into my head.... I know how I'm gonna do
it now. I'm not using the bandsaw.... I make the handle, with the ball

like
you said... then turn it around and put the handle in the chuck. Hollow

out
the ball so it's sorta like a goblet, then use a dremmel or something to
split the goblet in half.

I'm going to waste soo much wood on this thing. I'm going to use something
cheap like oak.

unknown

You will need to turn the goblet part first and then the
handle. If you follow your idea there will not be enough
wood in the handle to hold the goblet whill hollowing out.
turn out the goblet cup the use a styrofoam ball to put
between tailstock and cup and the turn the hanlle part.
Walter

My bandsaw SUCKS! I got the cheapest one... like $200. I
should've spent more because it's worthless....

oooo wait.... an idea just popped into my head.... I know
how I'm gonna do it now. I'm not using the bandsaw.... I
make the handle, with the ball like you said... then turn
it around and put the handle in the chuck. Hollow out the
ball so it's sorta like a goblet, then use a dremmel or
something to split the goblet in half.

I'm going to waste soo much wood on this thing. I'm going
to use something cheap like oak.

Pain Devine

1. do't use oak, use maple or ash

Oak is cheaper than Maple or Ash here... In fact, I can only find small
pieces of maple and ash... like 1x6s and stuff. I can get 6x6 chunks of oak
all over. In fact, there are oak tress all over my backyard if I wanna get
out the chainsaw. But, for an ice-cream scoop, I'll just get one of the
69cent scrap pieces they sell at home depot.

2. My bandsaw is probably cheap like yours, but it cuts fine - the cut is
more a function of the blade than anything else - and maybe having some
quality guides - I think I paid more for the guides than I did for the

whole
saw.

Maybe I'll get a new blade... I'll look into it.

Lazarus Long

This sounds like a case of letting the little head do the thinking for
the big head.

I don't see the trouble with making an ice cream scoop.

wrote:

[...]

George

I've watched this run through a lot of ideas, but as a spoon carver, I would
just make a scoop with shave, gouge and scorp, paying special attention to
the orientation of the long grain, because ice cream scoops do some real
prying. That's the thing that would worry me most about such an item.

That, and why anyone would want a wooden scoop when warm metal is so
demonstrably superior.

"Lazarus Long" wrote in message
On 16 Jul 2004 11:12:58 -0700, (Old Timer) wrote:

Invite her over for ice cream. Use the two matching ice cream BOWLS
you made for her, and only supply one spoon. Don't even mention the
scoop.

There's a mistake. Women never forget. She'll say "Nice bowls.
Where's the scoop I asked for?"

Pain Devine

In my case, the heads are about the same size.

I'll let you figure out what that means... ;-)