peterg

Default turning fishing plugs

the plug will be turned from square stock. I would like to turned
the plug
so that both ends of the turneded plug have square ends on the front
and back of the plug. How do I do this?
Leo Lichtman

"peterg" wrote: (clip) so that both ends of the turneded plug have square
ends on the front and back of the plug. How do I do this?
^^^^^^^^^^
I am not a fisherman, so I can only guess at the shape you are striving for.
Is it sort of a football-shaped object with the ends lopped off flat? One
way you could do that would be to start with a piece of wood longer than the
plug, and hold it by an tenon on one end, in a chuck. After the shape is
complete, part off the tenon, leaving both ends flat.

You could also support the piece on a wasteblock on a faceplate, using CA
glue. I would use a live center in the tailstock for additional support.
Then break off, or part off the finished piece.

AHilton

Ummmm Unless I'm just reading your post completely wrong, you can simply
part it off at both ends so that there's just a tiny tenon on each end.
Take it off the lathe and cut off the tenons. Sand smooth and flat on both
ends.

Here's an old picture of a couple of the lures when I first started making
them. I make all kinds, shapes, sizes and flavors now. g

http://www.statelinewoodturners.org/...lton/Lures.jpg

- Andrew

om...