DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   turning fishing plugs (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/35285-turning-fishing-plugs.html)

peterg February 28th 04 03:02 AM

turning fishing plugs

the plug will be turned from square stock. I would like to turned
the plug
so that both ends of the turneded plug have square ends on the front
and back of the plug. How do I do this?

Leo Lichtman February 28th 04 03:54 AM

turning fishing plugs

"peterg" wrote: (clip) so that both ends of the turneded plug have square
ends on the front and back of the plug. How do I do this?
^^^^^^^^^^
I am not a fisherman, so I can only guess at the shape you are striving for.
Is it sort of a football-shaped object with the ends lopped off flat? One
way you could do that would be to start with a piece of wood longer than the
plug, and hold it by an tenon on one end, in a chuck. After the shape is
complete, part off the tenon, leaving both ends flat.

You could also support the piece on a wasteblock on a faceplate, using CA
glue. I would use a live center in the tailstock for additional support.
Then break off, or part off the finished piece.

AHilton February 28th 04 10:05 PM

turning fishing plugs

Ummmm Unless I'm just reading your post completely wrong, you can simply
part it off at both ends so that there's just a tiny tenon on each end.
Take it off the lathe and cut off the tenons. Sand smooth and flat on both
ends.

Here's an old picture of a couple of the lures when I first started making
them. I make all kinds, shapes, sizes and flavors now. g

http://www.statelinewoodturners.org/...lton/Lures.jpg

- Andrew

om...