Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
js

Default Turning green wood

I posted this at rec.woodworking, and was told I would probably get a better
answer here.

I am making a small pedestal table, and got a hunk of maple, split, planed,
squared, and turned the pedestal, ans put three coats of shellac on it. Now
this wood was pretty much as green as you can get, but I read that stuff
should be turned green. I haven't been doing this for long, and this is the
first large piece I have ever turned. I figured the coats of shellac would
seal it, and keep it from splitting. Was i correct to assume this? anything
else I need to know before I go ahead and put this thing together?

Also while I'm at it, should stuff be turned green? and how should it be
treated afterward?

Thanks in advance from a newbie.