Marshall Gorrow

Default Turning green wood

JS, you might just get away with it. You split it out; so I assume that it
doesn't include the pith. Maple is less prone to splitting than many other
woods, especially if it is straight grained. Seal the ends and let it dry
slowly in a cool, moderately humid location and it may not split. It will go
a little oval, however. After a year or two, check for roundness with
calipers and don't be surprised if it's out of round by 1/8". Otherwise, it
will probably be fine. The bodgers did it that way for hundreds of years.
--
Marshall Gorrow
Hogansburg, NY USA
"js" wrote in message
I posted this at rec.woodworking, and was told I would probably get a

better
answer here.

I am making a small pedestal table, and got a hunk of maple, split,

planed,
squared, and turned the pedestal, ans put three coats of shellac on it.

Now
this wood was pretty much as green as you can get, but I read that stuff
should be turned green. I haven't been doing this for long, and this is

the
first large piece I have ever turned. I figured the coats of shellac would
seal it, and keep it from splitting. Was i correct to assume this?

anything
else I need to know before I go ahead and put this thing together?

Also while I'm at it, should stuff be turned green? and how should it be
treated afterward?

Thanks in advance from a newbie.