Darrell Feltmate

Default turning crotch wood

I have added a page to the web site dealing with one attempt at turning
a yellow birch crotch. So far one side has been roughed and I will get
to the other as soon as possible. My intention is to put up a pages
dealing with how I work with odd shaped pieces of wood. Hopefully others
will do the same on their web sites. (hint, hint, hint) I think it would
be design insights for us all. I tend to turn natural edged pieces and
hollow forms while others will see boxes and vases in the same piece of
wood.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Darrell Feltmate

Ray
As I understand the piece of wood, a vase would be a gorgeous piece to
turn. If the crotch is used as the base it sounds like it would
naturally be more bulbous at the bottom. If at the top, it would flow
from a smaller to a larger form and could be made to open to a "v" at
the top. Of course the other way it could stand on two feet. How big a
lathe are you using to turn a 2' x 3' crotch?
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Ray Sandusky

Darrell

I am in possession of a very large 3ft long cherry crotch that is about 24"
in diameter. I am studying this piece and trying to figur the best way to
turn it.
Here are my questions:
1. Should I turn it long grain and make a hollow form with the crotch's V
as the base of the vessel?
-This I think will provide me a vessell with flames on both sides - am
I correct?

2. Should I split it across the dual piths and turn bowls or platters from
the 2 pieces?
-This I think will provide me with 2 matchbooked items that have a
flame going across the middle and may require a bit of gymnastics to keep
the flame intact.

Since you brought it up, I thought you might be the one to advise me on it.
I can send you a picture of the log if you would like.

Thanks

Ray

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I have added a page to the web site dealing with one attempt at turning
a yellow birch crotch. So far one side has been roughed and I will get
to the other as soon as possible. My intention is to put up a pages
dealing with how I work with odd shaped pieces of wood. Hopefully others
will do the same on their web sites. (hint, hint, hint) I think it would
be design insights for us all. I tend to turn natural edged pieces and
hollow forms while others will see boxes and vases in the same piece of
wood.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
http://www.roundthewoods.com

Ray Sandusky

Darrell

I have a Nova 3000 - a bit small, but I usually start the item out on a
faceplate with 24 2" screws in the end - I have only had one get wobbly on
me - with the headstock turned away at a 45 degree angle. I rough out to
15.9" diameter and then turn back to be over the bed.

The log is cut off at the point where the V began and is 3' long from there
to (southern side of the V) where the tree formed the Y. I think all of the
flame pattern will be in the area between the splitting piths that is
embedded in the log. If I make the item vase shaped - narrow at base and
flowing in an arc to about 14" in diameter then narrowing again to form the
neck and mouth, will I be using the piece to its best display? (This is
the type of vase I am considring making
http://www.artisticwoods.com/Pictures/amaplev1000.jpg)

Will the flame show along two sides and then have a growth ring pattern on 2
sides? It is not often that I get a piece of wood like this and I do not
want to ruin it....