moggy

Default Newbie question

Hi, I am in the UK. wood turning is something that I have dreamt of doing
for many years. Finally I have decided that the only thing that is stopping
me from doing it is me. I would like to turn bowls mainly.
OK, I am clueless, I have had a look on ebay and there are lathes for sale
there. the things is what do I look for in a lathe?
Also chisels, any hints there?
And how do you teach yourself, it it purely trial and error or are there
some good books or courses out there.
Sorry for the obviousl questions, but I couldn't see a FAQ

---

Leif Thorvaldson

Moggy: I am sure you will hear from folks on both sides of the pond or even
the Channel. Since you are in the UK, perhaps you might check out the
following Yahoo forum:

Great bunch of guys, mainly Brits, but some French turners also.

Welcome to the woodturning addiction,

Leif

"moggy" wrote in message
Hi, I am in the UK. wood turning is something that I have dreamt of doing
for many years. Finally I have decided that the only thing that is

stopping
me from doing it is me. I would like to turn bowls mainly.
OK, I am clueless, I have had a look on ebay and there are lathes for sale
there. the things is what do I look for in a lathe?
Also chisels, any hints there?
And how do you teach yourself, it it purely trial and error or are there
some good books or courses out there.
Sorry for the obviousl questions, but I couldn't see a FAQ

---

The Guy

Hi,

You might consider looking at an excellent book by Keith Rowley, titled,
Woodturning A Foundation Course. ISBN 1-86108-114-6. The book has
superb coverage of all topics important to a new turner. And, since Mr.
Rowley is from the UK, even the spelling will be easy. :-)

Tim

moggy wrote:
Hi, I am in the UK. wood turning is something that I have dreamt of doing
for many years. Finally I have decided that the only thing that is stopping
me from doing it is me. I would like to turn bowls mainly.
OK, I am clueless, I have had a look on ebay and there are lathes for sale
there. the things is what do I look for in a lathe?
Also chisels, any hints there?
And how do you teach yourself, it it purely trial and error or are there
some good books or courses out there.
Sorry for the obviousl questions, but I couldn't see a FAQ

---

Aidan Place

Hi Moggy,

I too have just discovered the bug for turning and like you I am based in
the UK.

I bought the CCL lathe from Axminster which seems well made and functions
fine, I got a set of chisels from them too which seem to perform well. I
have just started by getting in there and having a go, learning by my
mistakes as it were. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Aidan.

"moggy" wrote in message
Hi, I am in the UK. wood turning is something that I have dreamt of doing
for many years. Finally I have decided that the only thing that is

stopping
me from doing it is me. I would like to turn bowls mainly.
OK, I am clueless, I have had a look on ebay and there are lathes for sale
there. the things is what do I look for in a lathe?
Also chisels, any hints there?
And how do you teach yourself, it it purely trial and error or are there
some good books or courses out there.
Sorry for the obviousl questions, but I couldn't see a FAQ

---

moggy

Well i think i will probably start by just having a go (and reading the
book), I notice that there are a lot of turners that offer tuition on
http://www.woodturners.co.uk/ i was thinking it may be worth doing.
Unfortunately there are none locally (York), which would add accomodation to
the cost.

"moggy" wrote in message
Hi, I am in the UK. wood turning is something that I have dreamt of

doing
for many years. Finally I have decided that the only thing that is

stopping
me from doing it is me. I would like to turn bowls mainly.
OK, I am clueless, I have had a look on ebay and there are lathes for

sale
there. the things is what do I look for in a lathe?
Also chisels, any hints there?
And how do you teach yourself, it it purely trial and error or are there
some good books or courses out there.
Sorry for the obviousl questions, but I couldn't see a FAQ

---

---

Sir Edgar

Good morning, "moggy", from my side of the pond.

I seem to be in the same boat, as it were, that you are. After 50+ years
of woodworking and cabinetmaking, I decided to have a go at wood turning
before I became entirely too old. So my first step was to buy a book and
read it thoroughly. Then I bought the best medium priced lathe that I
could afford and and likewise a set of of turning tools. Then my courage
deserted me when it was time to actually try my hand at turning a piece
of wood. So I searched out the woodworking teacher in a local public
(private as you know it) school. We had a long conversation via
telephone and he agreed to give me lessons in my shop in the evenings.
My first session is two days from now and I am eagerly awaiting his
knock on my door. Perhaps this is the coward's way out but I am
conscious of the passing of time and do not want to spend the next year
in experimentation to determine the basic techniques. There is an added
bonus to this plan. I do not know of another woodworker in the area in
which I live. In my conversation with this gentleman, I was told that he
would introduce me to some of his friends and bring them with him in the
future when he came. I hope that this dissertation has been of interest
to you. Please keep me advised of your progress via a post to the group
and/or a personal e-mail. Cheers and the best of luck to you ~ Edgar

The Guy

Sir Edgar wrote:
[...]

It sounds like a plan to me.

Tim