Sir Edgar

Default Newbie question

Good morning, "moggy", from my side of the pond.

I seem to be in the same boat, as it were, that you are. After 50+ years
of woodworking and cabinetmaking, I decided to have a go at wood turning
before I became entirely too old. So my first step was to buy a book and
read it thoroughly. Then I bought the best medium priced lathe that I
could afford and and likewise a set of of turning tools. Then my courage
deserted me when it was time to actually try my hand at turning a piece
of wood. So I searched out the woodworking teacher in a local public
(private as you know it) school. We had a long conversation via
telephone and he agreed to give me lessons in my shop in the evenings.
My first session is two days from now and I am eagerly awaiting his
knock on my door. Perhaps this is the coward's way out but I am
conscious of the passing of time and do not want to spend the next year
in experimentation to determine the basic techniques. There is an added
bonus to this plan. I do not know of another woodworker in the area in
which I live. In my conversation with this gentleman, I was told that he
would introduce me to some of his friends and bring them with him in the
future when he came. I hope that this dissertation has been of interest
to you. Please keep me advised of your progress via a post to the group
and/or a personal e-mail. Cheers and the best of luck to you ~ Edgar