moggy

Default Newbie question

Well i think i will probably start by just having a go (and reading the
book), I notice that there are a lot of turners that offer tuition on
http://www.woodturners.co.uk/ i was thinking it may be worth doing.
Unfortunately there are none locally (York), which would add accomodation to
the cost.

"Aidan Place" wrote in message
Hi Moggy,

I too have just discovered the bug for turning and like you I am based in
the UK.

I bought the CCL lathe from Axminster which seems well made and functions
fine, I got a set of chisels from them too which seem to perform well. I
have just started by getting in there and having a go, learning by my
mistakes as it were. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Aidan.

"moggy" wrote in message
Hi, I am in the UK. wood turning is something that I have dreamt of

doing
for many years. Finally I have decided that the only thing that is

stopping
me from doing it is me. I would like to turn bowls mainly.
OK, I am clueless, I have had a look on ebay and there are lathes for

sale
there. the things is what do I look for in a lathe?
Also chisels, any hints there?
And how do you teach yourself, it it purely trial and error or are there
some good books or courses out there.
Sorry for the obviousl questions, but I couldn't see a FAQ

---

---