harryc

Default Anyone own a One-way 1640

Anyone Own or Use The New One-way 1640 Lathes-Impressions?

--
Harry

Al Kyder

"harryc" wrote in message ...
Anyone Own or Use The New One-way 1640 Lathes-Impressions?

Buy American. Oneway is allied with the bigamists.

God Bless,
Nick Silva
Kevin & Theresa Miller

Al Kyder wrote:
"harryc" wrote in message ...

Anyone Own or Use The New One-way 1640 Lathes-Impressions?

Buy American. Oneway is allied with the bigamists.

Yeah, but they're American bigamists...

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Jim M

Hi Harry,
I haven't used nor own a Oneway 1640. I however do own and use a Oneway
2436 and it is a great lathe. It's rare that you see people having problems
with Oneway lathes. And even if and when they do, as you probably have seen
here on the newsgroup, Oneway is quick to handle the situation. They build a
great lathe and have great customer support.
I did see the 1640 at the Pasadena symposium, and saw parts of it in
pre-production when I visited their facility last spring. Looks to be a very
good machine.
I do want to ask you a question that I want you to think about. And that
is how large a diameter do you plan to turn and how often. Basically are you
going to turn primarily 16" and under bowls. Or are you thinking that you
will buy the outboard extension as well to give you more capacity? If the
former is true, then this is the lathe to get. If however you are thinking
of also purchasing the outboard with the lathe or in the immediate future,
then I would suggest moving up to either a 2036 or a 2436 lathe to begin
with.
--Jim M.

"harryc" wrote in message
Anyone Own or Use The New One-way 1640 Lathes-Impressions?

--
Harry

Sy Levine

I have purchased the 1640. I did own the Nova 3000 and did not want to
step up in size as I do not believe I will turn greater than 16" with
an occasional 20" that I will outboard turn to 16". I found that even
with 150 extra lbs in the Nova stand I used to be able to bounce the
lathe across the shop when first trying to get it round. I wanted the
extra 300/400 lbs that Oneway provides.

I had no problems with the Nova and while not a fully skilled turner,
I do sell some pieces at guild shows and galleries. I was able to sell
the Nova at a good price relative to what I had paid three years ago
and I was thus able to help justify the "step up" to the 1640.

I like the feel of the 1640, especially the tail stock. When I set it,
it stays put, but I just may be more experienced than before, and I
have fewer problems when I reverse a piece. It is closer to true than
my experience on the Nova.

I got the 2 HP unit and it is a very quiet and smooth machine. I
expect to do more multiple bowls now that I have the HP, with the Nova
I always stalled the McNaughton system. I did get it with the remote
switch which I like - have two sides of the lathe to control the
machine, I also bit the bullet and added a vacuum system. Now that I
have it, I which I had gone this way before.

The only problem so far has been recently where I have tripped the
electronics and had to reset the machine. I am not sure if I just hit
the stop by mistake or it is a potential problem.

I am very excited with my purchase and can only say that if you can
swing it, go for it, you will be pleased.

N2WOOD

I also have one of the 1640's
It seems to be a very well made lathe and by everything that I've seen
and read about Kevin and Oneway it is a great company to deal with.
Kevin just recently helped a guy get his new 2436 down into his
basement and set it up at no extra charge. What other company would do
that? I also got the 2 hp along with the outboard bed (still waiting
on that though). No regrets here. I almost got the 1224 but after some
research back in Jan. here and other places about that lathe only to
find out that Oneway was in development of there 1640 so I waited as
long as I could and placed an order before they even had their picture
of it up on line. Reputation alone sold me on this brand of lathe.....
Anyone Own or Use The New One-way 1640 Lathes-Impressions?