Sy Levine

Default Anyone own a One-way 1640

I have purchased the 1640. I did own the Nova 3000 and did not want to
step up in size as I do not believe I will turn greater than 16" with
an occasional 20" that I will outboard turn to 16". I found that even
with 150 extra lbs in the Nova stand I used to be able to bounce the
lathe across the shop when first trying to get it round. I wanted the
extra 300/400 lbs that Oneway provides.

I had no problems with the Nova and while not a fully skilled turner,
I do sell some pieces at guild shows and galleries. I was able to sell
the Nova at a good price relative to what I had paid three years ago
and I was thus able to help justify the "step up" to the 1640.

I like the feel of the 1640, especially the tail stock. When I set it,
it stays put, but I just may be more experienced than before, and I
have fewer problems when I reverse a piece. It is closer to true than
my experience on the Nova.

I got the 2 HP unit and it is a very quiet and smooth machine. I
expect to do more multiple bowls now that I have the HP, with the Nova
I always stalled the McNaughton system. I did get it with the remote
switch which I like - have two sides of the lathe to control the
machine, I also bit the bullet and added a vacuum system. Now that I
have it, I which I had gone this way before.

The only problem so far has been recently where I have tripped the
electronics and had to reset the machine. I am not sure if I just hit
the stop by mistake or it is a potential problem.

I am very excited with my purchase and can only say that if you can
swing it, go for it, you will be pleased.