Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Harbor Freight mis-marking power rating on 34706 lathes

Hi,

When building a vacuum chuck for my lathe I needed a 3/4 ph motor HF
did not have a standard model so I looked at a 3/4 HP lathe and that
motor should work well so I tried to order one for the HF 34706 lathe
advertised as a 3/4 HP machine and it came to me marked 1/2 HP @ 370
Watts. I called HF and they sent me a new one, same story. I was
connected to their customer service/tech support team and their
response was the lathes were mis-marked and all were 1/2 hp and their
literature/web/sales info was all wrong....

Yes, I was unhappy but mostly for those that actually bought one of
those lathes expecting a 3/4 HP motor. I would suggest you contact HF
and ask them how they are going to make it right.

Their response is pasted below:

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"GDStutts" wrote:

(clip) Yes, I was unhappy but mostly for those that actually bought one of
those lathes expecting a 3/4 HP motor. I would suggest you contact HF
and ask them how they are going to make it right. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To really make you whole, I suppose you could demand they replace the 1/2 HP
moor with a 3/4. That ain't gonna happen. What they should do, and
probably will, is allow you to return the motor for a refund. I'm sure they
will do that willingly--I have found their warranty and return policy to be
superb. Since you tried a kludge to get a bargain, and it turns out to be
based on an error, I don't think you should expect more.

Your concern for other buyers who may have been misled is well founded. I
don't see any way out of that mess, since a buyer who assumes he got a lathe
with a 3/4 HP motor may never realize what has happened. Most turners who
buy from HF are beginners, and they may not realize that their lathe ought
to be capable of heavier cuts.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Leo Lichtman
writes

"GDStutts" wrote:

[...]

I think an important point here, is if it came time to re-sell the
lathe, without the correct label on the motor, how can you convince
someone?
What about if it needed re-wiring, the wrong cable could be used or
incorrect fuse.
If the label is stick on, they should be able to provide a replacement
with the correct serial number on it, assuming the number is on it. That
would be the cheapest option
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On May 1, 9:05*am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"GDStutts" *wrote:

[...]

I have received my funds back, I am still nervous now when I consider
buying anything from them.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I had thought that buying HF products are generally known by turners to
be an exercise in separating the bargains from the junk. Most of us buy
them selectively and often not for their advertised purpose, always with
some recognition of price vs quality. Yet we do buy them and often with
satisfaction.

Given two HF lathes one with 1/2 the other with 3/4 hp motors plus their
known and accepted deficiencies, I doubt there will be much difference
noted at turning speeds. Does anyone here believe the labelled hp on
most Sears, Home Depot etc. small motors at anything like the rpm at
bowl turning speeds? I don't think a misleading by 1/4 hp label on a HF
lathe is a federal case. If so get a refund (as was done) or a new label
or paste on a homemade one listing whatever hp you think it is, which is
unlikely to be correct anyway. Not that federal cases aren't also
'mislabelled' these days!

Sorry, I'm in my COC phase again. Most of you recognize that and just
sigh while others groan!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

[...]