Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Harbor Freight mis-marking power rating on 34706 lathes

I had thought that buying HF products are generally known by turners to
be an exercise in separating the bargains from the junk. Most of us buy
them selectively and often not for their advertised purpose, always with
some recognition of price vs quality. Yet we do buy them and often with
satisfaction.

Given two HF lathes one with 1/2 the other with 3/4 hp motors plus their
known and accepted deficiencies, I doubt there will be much difference
noted at turning speeds. Does anyone here believe the labelled hp on
most Sears, Home Depot etc. small motors at anything like the rpm at
bowl turning speeds? I don't think a misleading by 1/4 hp label on a HF
lathe is a federal case. If so get a refund (as was done) or a new label
or paste on a homemade one listing whatever hp you think it is, which is
unlikely to be correct anyway. Not that federal cases aren't also
'mislabelled' these days!

Sorry, I'm in my COC phase again. Most of you recognize that and just
sigh while others groan!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter