Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Harbor Freight mis-marking power rating on 34706 lathes

In message , Leo Lichtman
writes

"GDStutts" wrote:

(clip) Yes, I was unhappy but mostly for those that actually bought one of
those lathes expecting a 3/4 HP motor. I would suggest you contact HF
and ask them how they are going to make it right. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To really make you whole, I suppose you could demand they replace the 1/2 HP
moor with a 3/4. That ain't gonna happen. What they should do, and
probably will, is allow you to return the motor for a refund. I'm sure they
will do that willingly--I have found their warranty and return policy to be
superb. Since you tried a kludge to get a bargain, and it turns out to be
based on an error, I don't think you should expect more.

Your concern for other buyers who may have been misled is well founded. I
don't see any way out of that mess, since a buyer who assumes he got a lathe
with a 3/4 HP motor may never realize what has happened. Most turners who
buy from HF are beginners, and they may not realize that their lathe ought
to be capable of heavier cuts.

I think an important point here, is if it came time to re-sell the
lathe, without the correct label on the motor, how can you convince
someone?
What about if it needed re-wiring, the wrong cable could be used or
incorrect fuse.
If the label is stick on, they should be able to provide a replacement
with the correct serial number on it, assuming the number is on it. That
would be the cheapest option
--
John