Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Two-pronged vs. stebcentres

I understand that to turn a blank whose ends are not exactly square a
two-pronged driving centre is preferred to a four-pronged one. How does a
stebcentre behave in this situation? Is it a suitable alternative?

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A two-pronged drive would be better, prvided that you can find the line
which is at right angles to the axis. A Stebb center will always hit
hardest on the "tall" side.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Nov 28, 1:13*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I understand that to turn a blank whose ends are not exactly square a
two-pronged driving centre is preferred to a four-pronged one. How does a
stebcentre behave in this situation? Is it a suitable alternative?

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

The stebcentre has the same problem as the 4-prong in that the portion
of the blank nearest the headstock will be gripped more firmly than
the part furthest away. Not a good idea. If you must use blanks that
aren't square on the end you really have to use the 2-prong. Even that
won't work if the angle on the end of the blank is too severe.

Personally I'd find a saw, chisel, or sander and just square the thing
up and mount it properly.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill wrote:

The stebcentre has the same problem as the 4-prong in that the portion
of the blank nearest the headstock will be gripped more firmly than
the part furthest away. Not a good idea. If you must use blanks that
aren't square on the end you really have to use the 2-prong. Even that
won't work if the angle on the end of the blank is too severe.

Personally I'd find a saw, chisel, or sander and just square the thing
up and mount it properly.

I was thinking of turning some bent tree limbs. One of the problems is that
nobody seems to carry 2-prong centres. I wanted to make sure that I
understand the issues and the various options before I start grinding down a
4-pronged one.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Don’t grind your 4-prong center.
They’re readily available from online suppliers.
Craft Supply (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/catalog?Args=)
has one for about $25. Item # 155-6202.

Tom Weber
Merritt Island, FL

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tpurhrt wrote:
Don’t grind your 4-prong center.
They’re readily available from online suppliers.
Craft Supply (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/catalog?Args=)
has one for about $25. Item # 155-6202.

Sadly, with the shipping from US it is cheaper to grind :-)
As it happens I did not need to do it, I was able to square the ends to the
point where the existing 4-prong worked fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

jeez guys - THINK..... don't destroy a tool - you want a two pronged drive,
just make one - an old faceplate, two sharpened bolts and off you go - or,
if you don't like that, a piece of steel on edge welded to a nut, sharpen
the edge and off you go.

(and if you can't weld, you know how to find me - I could make those too)