Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Two-pronged vs. stebcentres

Bill wrote:

The stebcentre has the same problem as the 4-prong in that the portion
of the blank nearest the headstock will be gripped more firmly than
the part furthest away. Not a good idea. If you must use blanks that
aren't square on the end you really have to use the 2-prong. Even that
won't work if the angle on the end of the blank is too severe.

Personally I'd find a saw, chisel, or sander and just square the thing
up and mount it properly.

I was thinking of turning some bent tree limbs. One of the problems is that
nobody seems to carry 2-prong centres. I wanted to make sure that I
understand the issues and the various options before I start grinding down a
4-pronged one.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC