Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Palm wood for turning

I just got some palm tree logs from a neighbor that was cutting it
down. I was thinking of using to to turn some bowls if it works OK. I
haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone had any experience
with it and what I should do. Any words of wisdom will be
appreciated. I was thinking of trying to turn some wet and let the
rest dry out.

Al
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Nov 17, 12:01*pm, Greg wrote:
said:

I just got some palm tree logs from a neighbor that was cutting it
down. I was thinking of using to to turn some bowls if it works OK. I
haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone had any experience
with it and what I should do. Any words of wisdom will be
appreciated. *I was thinking of trying to turn some wet and let the
rest dry out.

Due to the coarse texture I'm not sure how it would turn out as a
single piece bowl, but if you do segmented woodtunings this is a nice
example if what can be done, and what it looks like finished:http://www.turnedwood.com/images/Bowl0733b.jpg

Hope Kevin doesn't mind...

Palm is more like 3000 tiny soda straws bundled together than wood.
You don't turn it as much as grind off the ends of the tubes. *:-)

Greg G.

Greg,

Thanks for the information. I was thinking what you reported on too.
BUT if I can make something like you had a picture of
I don't think I would have any complaints.

Al
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Greg G. wrote:
said:

I just got some palm tree logs from a neighbor that was cutting it
down. I was thinking of using to to turn some bowls if it works OK. I
haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone had any experience
with it and what I should do. Any words of wisdom will be
appreciated. I was thinking of trying to turn some wet and let the
rest dry out.

Due to the coarse texture I'm not sure how it would turn out as a
single piece bowl, but if you do segmented woodtunings this is a nice
example if what can be done, and what it looks like finished:
http://www.turnedwood.com/images/Bowl0733b.jpg

Hope Kevin doesn't mind...

Hmmm. I dunno - I think you'd better send me some to experiment with. :-)
(Very nice piece!)

Palm is more like 3000 tiny soda straws bundled together than wood.
You don't turn it as much as grind off the ends of the tubes. :-)

Yup, lots of dust & no shavings!

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Don't ask me which is which, but some palm can be turned, and the rest not.
Try a sample and see.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

try mounting it with the "grain" running at a 45 degree angle to the axis of
rotation - I've made some bamboo pieces that way and I like how they come
out

wrote in message
I just got some palm tree logs from a neighbor that was cutting it
down. I was thinking of using to to turn some bowls if it works OK. I
haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone had any experience
with it and what I should do. Any words of wisdom will be
appreciated. I was thinking of trying to turn some wet and let the
rest dry out.

Al

Wood glue for wood turning. [email protected] Woodturning 2 April 5th 08 04:24 AM
Wood Glue Specials for wood turning. [email protected] Woodturning 2 March 31st 08 11:37 PM
Musing about Palm Sunday, palm fronds, carnauba and all that. Arch Woodturning 5 March 29th 08 08:58 PM
palm tree wood?? Wizard Woodturning 6 August 12th 04 11:25 AM
Turning fig wood? Bruce C. Woodturning 2 July 25th 03 09:44 PM