Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Palm wood for turning

wrote:
I just got some palm tree logs from a neighbor that was cutting it
down. I was thinking of using to to turn some bowls if it works OK. I
haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone had any experience
with it and what I should do. Any words of wisdom will be
appreciated. I was thinking of trying to turn some wet and let the
rest dry out.

Turned a piece of palm once years ago. You don't really get shavings,
you get dust. I turned a hollow form with it which came out fine. I'm
not sure what sort of success you'd have turning it in bowl
configuration. I think most folks use a spindle orientation. But the
price is right so give it a try and report back.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska