Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default These Ain't Your Typical Magic Wands

A new batch of neighborhood kids have discovered that I can make Magic
Wands thanks to some of the older neighborhood kids who have long
outgrown their magic wands in the intervening five years. And with five
years of experience at the lathe, this batch of wands are VERY different
from the ones done on a little UniMat metal lathe. They also take a bit
more time to make - but also provide opportunities to try something new
- at least to me.

The thing that's the same is seeing a kid's reaction when they see THEIR
magic wand for the first time. THAT is still priceless.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...icWands09.html

If you've got kids in the neighborhood, consider doing some Magic
Wands. But be aware that there will always be more kids - who want a
wand.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think that's really neat, Charlie. I like he designs, and they are
indeed a lot different than your old design.

I live in a very "mature" neighborhood, and we have little or no
kiddos around on my street. I think otherwise, I might have to give a
wand a go.

As always, thanks for the inspiration. It's turning cooler here, and
that means it will be pleasant in the shop for a change so after I
finish my last set of projects, I will be getting back on the lathe.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Robert:

Stumbled on a finish while doing the next wand you might find a use for
in pieces for more mature customers. Added that to the bottom of the
page posted earlier. Should work on bowls, plates and platters.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...icWands09.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
A new batch of neighborhood kids have discovered that I can make Magic
Wands thanks to some of the older neighborhood kids who have long
outgrown their magic wands in the intervening five years. And with five
years of experience at the lathe, this batch of wands are VERY different
from the ones done on a little UniMat metal lathe. They also take a bit
more time to make - but also provide opportunities to try something new
- at least to me.

The thing that's the same is seeing a kid's reaction when they see THEIR
magic wand for the first time. THAT is still priceless.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...icWands09.html

If you've got kids in the neighborhood, consider doing some Magic
Wands. But be aware that there will always be more kids - who want a
wand.

Nice work. The only problem is, if you make a nicer wand for kid B, you take
the risk that kid A will turn you into a frog.

B.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Nice work. The only problem is, if you make a nicer wand for kid B, you take
the risk that kid A will turn you into a frog.

Magic Wand Protection Amulets are WAY easier to turn than Magic Wands.
And Frog To Human Reverters are quick and easy to make - so when the
market has been saturated with Magic Wands and everyone's turned each
other into frogs - I'm going to make a FORTUNE.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 17, 3:01*pm, charlieb wrote:
Robert:

Stumbled on a finish while doing the next wand you might find a use for
in pieces for more mature customers. *Added that to the bottom of the
page posted earlier. *Should work on bowls, plates and platters.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...icWands09.html

Charlie - what a neat effect! I thought they look metallic, except a
lot softer. I would never have thought to try that. I IMMEDIATELY
thought of this year's Christmas ornaments.

Great tip!

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlieb said:

Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Nice work. The only problem is, if you make a nicer wand for kid B, you take
the risk that kid A will turn you into a frog.

Magic Wand Protection Amulets are WAY easier to turn than Magic Wands.
And Frog To Human Reverters are quick and easy to make - so when the
market has been saturated with Magic Wands and everyone's turned each
other into frogs - I'm going to make a FORTUNE.

Not around here.
If I handed these out, nice as they are, I would be branded a pariah.
Well, more so, anyway...

The locals are trying to ban Harry Potter books at the public
libraries and schools. This would be tantamount to heresy.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Greg G. wrote:

Not around here.
If I handed these out, nice as they are, I would be branded a pariah.
Well, more so, anyway...

The locals are trying to ban Harry Potter books at the public
libraries and schools. This would be tantamount to heresy.

You could tell them they're pointers to use while reading the bible
- - looks more special than using your finger to keep track of where
you are on the page.

If you have any catholics in the area you can tell them these things
are for spinkling holy water.

Maybe drilling a hole down the middle so you can say they're the
latest in soda straws - expensive - but they work REALLY well.