Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Mico wave drying of wood

Hi,

Does anyone have a method they use to dry green wood in the micro
wave.

How big can the piece be? Any special rules on sealing?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Microwave at low power. Have the bowl in a towel.
There will be sap and waters coming out. Old towel or shop one.

The wood is as plastic when hot. Go slow and look for light steam.

It is hard to say in wattage - I think ours was a 600Watt tank that
died after 30+ years. So 2-300 watt would be safe.

If only drying - cook some and if you see much steam - stop and allow
to cool - work slow - it can split - it can change shape.

I did bows when 2or 3 x thick in the rims - mostly roughed out.

I also did it with finished bowls and when really hot - slowly
squeezed them and bound them in non-circular shapes. Sand before!!

Martin

randyswoodshoop wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a method they use to dry green wood in the micro
wave.

How big can the piece be? Any special rules on sealing?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jul 15, 4:45*am, randyswoodshoop wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a method they use to dry green wood in the micro
wave.

How big can the piece be? Any special rules on sealing?

Hi Randy,

When I cut green wood I seal it with Anchor Seal, but almost anything
will do paint, wax, varnish. Then when I am ready to turn the piece I
rough the item ou and soak it in denatured alchol. The alchol
replaces the water in the wood; then when you remove it it evaporates
much faster with out the cracking. I soak the wood for aprox 1 week
for 1 inch of thickness ... you can soak longer without problems.
Then remove the item drain it and wrap it in brown paper bag and let
it sit for a couple of weeks.

http://www.theturninggallery.com/
John Green

OK here goes all you could ever want to know about wood drying Tom Nie Woodturning 4 April 29th 06 02:18 PM
More on wood drying Peter Hyde Woodturning 7 April 24th 06 10:22 PM
drying wood Lee Woodworking 5 December 18th 05 03:44 AM
Mico 311 DVD recorder, mainly dead. Advice, pls? bungnut Electronics Repair 0 December 14th 05 09:43 PM
Drying wood Peter Woodturning 1 October 20th 03 01:54 AM