Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default New to turning

Ahoy!

I have recently started turning and due to the recent demise of my lathe I
fear it is time to break out the wallet and get a new one. However I don't
really know what I should be looking for.

Budget will be up to £500 but less is good although I may be able to wrangle
a bit more out of SWMBO. I have been looking at the Warco 1100B
(http://www.warco.co.uk/1100B-Wood-La...rom-Warco.aspx) or
the Axminster M950
(http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...the-21284.htm).
Any other suggestions or comments?

Cheers

Mark

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 3 juil, 19:08, "Mark Spice" wrote:
Ahoy!

I have recently started turning and due to the recent demise of my lathe I
fear it is time to break out the wallet and get a new one. *However I don't
really know what I should be looking for.

Budget will be up to £500 but less is good although I may be able to wrangle
a bit more out of SWMBO. *I have been looking at the Warco 1100B
(http://www.warco.co.uk/1100B-Wood-La...rom-Warco.aspx) or
the Axminster M950
(http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Speed-Wood...).
Any other suggestions or comments?

I've got the Axminster 900 and it's fine, subject to usual caveats
about power and size; as a hobby turner (not particularly active) I've
never used the full length, so unless you're planning to do a lot of
very long pieces the 950 may be overkill (the only difference is the
extra 50 mm of bed). Even table legs don't usually require that
length.
HTH
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Mark Spice
writes
Ahoy!

I have recently started turning and due to the recent demise of my
lathe I fear it is time to break out the wallet and get a new one.
However I don't really know what I should be looking for.

Budget will be up to £500 but less is good although I may be able to
wrangle a bit more out of SWMBO. I have been looking at the Warco
1100B
(http://www.warco.co.uk/1100B-Wood-La...rom-Warco.aspx)
or the Axminster M950
(http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...e-Speed-Woodtu
rning-Lathe-21284.htm). Any other suggestions or comments?

Cheers

Mark

I have both an Axminster M900 and a variant of an M950, the 900 is sort
of retired as I only use my modified 950 (full variable speed)

The Warco may have cast legs but you have a Max of 12 inch over bed on
the 950 you get 14 inch On the 950 you have a frame to place a shelf and
extra loading for stability.

Don't just compare price, The Axminster M range has wider rails to the
bed, than many of its competitors, and even their own budget range
(formerly Perform) The Bearings on the M range are apparently heavier
duty, and the tail stock definitely looks more robust

The Warco has a 33.5m thread compared to the Axminsters more common
1x8tpi, though the 33 can be adapted, you will probably find more
options for the 1x8 and at lower prices. If you really get into turning
the bigger machines do have the 33 thread so bear that in mind for
future expenditure. In my case my 950 has the 33 thread( as I mentioned
its non standard)

Unless you want to turn long spindles you could include the now obsolete
M900, it also only turns 10 inch over bed, but is quite a robust little
beast. New they were about £100 less than the 950. Axminster was selling
off ex demo models at about £270 at the end of the year, though I
suspect they are all gone now. I have an advantage in one of their
stores is on my doorstep

--
John