Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Peter Wells[_2_] Peter Wells[_2_] is offline

Default New to turning

On 3 juil, 19:08, "Mark Spice" wrote:
Ahoy!

I have recently started turning and due to the recent demise of my lathe I
fear it is time to break out the wallet and get a new one. *However I don't
really know what I should be looking for.

Budget will be up to £500 but less is good although I may be able to wrangle
a bit more out of SWMBO. *I have been looking at the Warco 1100B
(http://www.warco.co.uk/1100B-Wood-La...rom-Warco.aspx) or
the Axminster M950
(http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Speed-Wood...).
Any other suggestions or comments?

I've got the Axminster 900 and it's fine, subject to usual caveats
about power and size; as a hobby turner (not particularly active) I've
never used the full length, so unless you're planning to do a lot of
very long pieces the 950 may be overkill (the only difference is the
extra 50 mm of bed). Even table legs don't usually require that
length.
HTH