Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Nova G3 or PSI Barracuda

I am interested in your opinions as to which may be the better chuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:12:18 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

I am interested in your opinions as to which may be the better chuck.

Only 2 choices, Leon?
Which Barracuda? (at least 3 models)

Of the 2, I'd go with Nova every time..

I have 2 Oneway Talons that I've been abusing for years and like a lot..

Considering a Vimark or Oneway Stronghold for the next chuck..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I am interested in your opinions as to which may be the better chuck.

Only 2 choices, Leon?
Which Barracuda? (at least 3 models)

Of the 2, I'd go with Nova every time..

Thanks Mac, I am heavily leaning towards the Nova and you helped me make
that decision. The Houston WW show starts today and I hope to find a deal
on one there.

I have 2 Oneway Talons that I've been abusing for years and like a lot..

Considering a Vimark or Oneway Stronghold for the next chuck..

I have seen those and I am not quite there yet. ;~)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I am interested in your opinions as to which may be the better chuck.

Only 2 choices, Leon?
Which Barracuda? (at least 3 models)

Of the 2, I'd go with Nova every time..

Thanks Mac, *I am heavily leaning towards the Nova and you helped me make
that decision. *The Houston WW show starts today and I hope to find a deal
on one there.

I have 2 Oneway Talons that I've been abusing for years and like a lot...

Considering a Vimark or Oneway Stronghold for the next chuck..

I have seen those and I am not quite there yet. *;~)

Leon - what are you doing over here?!?

Good to see you!

I have a Nova, and two Vics. I love those Vicmarcs. They are
machined out of a solid chunk of metal, and it shows. I have had one
for about 10 years now, and it has been beaten up without any second
thought.

I have literally (no kidding... honestly) turned a few thousand pieces
using my two Vics.

As for your question concerning two specific chucks, I am with Mac
100%. I would certainly vote for the Nova.

From time to time there have been a few comments about quality control
from Penn State, but they always fix things. I have bought a ton of
stuff from them and they stand behind their products.

The Barracuda is a much better value for he casual turner. The Nova
is better chuck.

Take a look at this page:

http://tinyurl.com/coqh9p

(If the link doesn't work, it is a search on Amazon of "nova chucks"
that brings up the Nova, PSI, etc.)

The things I don't like about the G3 are the fact that it is an open
back chuck, and when I turn, dust, finish, goo, and turnings seem to
get all over everything. And personally, I just don't like drill
chuck style keys. You get some crap on the teeth and they are easy to
strip.

With a hex key, (see the Supernova 2 !)
you can't strip out anything. The back of the chuck is closed, so no
"stuff" inside the chuck. If you lose the key in a pile of shavings
or just lay it down and forget where you put it, it is a trip to Auto
Zone and you can get another.

You can get the Supernova for under $200+ shipping from

http://www.woodturnerscatalogue.com

While you are there, check out the Vicmarcs. I have two of the 3 1/2"
and those are my mainstays. They include the insert (supernova
doesn't) and are about $229.

BUT

I have seen this one and couldn't really tell much between it and my
Vics:

http://grizzly.com/products/H6265

Lots of folks have them, and they seem to love them. I sure like the
price. If I get wound up and feel like I need another chuck, this one
might be my choice. It is made in Taiwan/China like the G3, the Jet,
and the PSI products.

Although I can't say so personally, I have heard over at Wood Central
that the jaw for the Vics fit perfectly, or with just a tiny bit of
Dremel work.

All that for $95 skins. Heck, you could buy two!

I hope you post what you get and what you think of them after putting
them through the paces.

Robert

P.S. - I looked for a black and gremlin green model, but none could be
found!

;^)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message

Leon - what are you doing over here?!?

Good to see you!

Thanks robert, I was here about 8 years ago for a spell. ;~)

I have a Nova, and two Vics. I love those Vicmarcs. They are
machined out of a solid chunk of metal, and it shows. I have had one
for about 10 years now, and it has been beaten up without any second
thought.

I have literally (no kidding... honestly) turned a few thousand pieces
using my two Vics.

Snip

The things I don't like about the G3 are the fact that it is an open
back chuck, and when I turn, dust, finish, goo, and turnings seem to
get all over everything. And personally, I just don't like drill
chuck style keys. You get some crap on the teeth and they are easy to
strip.

Well I have been reading a bit about dislikes concerning the open back and I
am not a fan of tthe "drill chuck" style key either.

With a hex key, (see the Supernova 2 !)
you can't strip out anything. The back of the chuck is closed, so no
"stuff" inside the chuck. If you lose the key in a pile of shavings
or just lay it down and forget where you put it, it is a trip to Auto
Zone and you can get another.

You can get the Supernova for under $200+ shipping from

Actually Woodcraft has the Super Nova on sale for $149.00 + the insert to
fit the lathe. I'll have a closer look.

Snip

I hope you post what you get and what you think of them after putting
them through the paces.

I'll to that, althought I suspect that my findings may be old news to most
every one here. Pepper mills are in my sights now. ;~) Then maybe some
wine bottle stoppers for that expensive 2 pack of 1.5 liter bottles of Red
at Sam's for $9.97.

P.S. - I looked for a black and gremlin green model, but none could be
found!

;^)
Ahhh the 70's Cuda, I liked the yellow /black stripe ones too. You know the
new model Chalengers look pretty good, too bad they will probably go down
with Chrysler.

Thank you Robert for the "as always" very helpful and insiteful information.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 3, 11:08*am, mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:12:18 -0500, "Leon" wrote:
I am interested in your opinions as to which may be the better chuck.

Only 2 choices, Leon?
Which Barracuda? (at least 3 models)

Of the 2, I'd go with Nova every time..

I have 2 Oneway Talons that I've been abusing for years and like a lot..

Considering a Vimark or Oneway Stronghold for the next chuck..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hi Leon,

I have a Nova G3 and love it...

I have used it to hold bowls up to 8" and it works well.
I would buy the Nova

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"randyswoodshop" wrote in message
On Apr 3, 11:08 am, mac davis wrote:

Hi Leon,

I have a Nova G3 and love it...

I have used it to hold bowls up to 8" and it works well.
I would buy the Nova

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

\
Thanks Randy, I ended up with the Super Nova 2. It was on sale foe $149.

I tried it out Sunday and it did not leave me with the feeling that I should
have gotten something else. I don't care for the "regular" drill bit chuck
type key that the G3 uses and much prefer the hex wrench that the Super Nova
2 uses. Additionally the hex wrench has a ball tip so that it can be
tightened or loosened with the hex T-wrench at most any angle. As a bonus I
cannot leave the key in the chuck because the ball end will not stay in
place by it self, and will fall out if I don't hold on to it. I could see
me leaving the wrench in the chuck, turning the lathe on, and watching the
wrench fly, at least one time.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have had a PSI and a Vicmark. Scrap the cheap Asian product(mostly China)
and buy the better built one (Nova). You get what you pay for in a chuck.
The better chuck will last many times longer than the cheap one.
"Leon" wrote in message
I am interested in your opinions as to which may be the better chuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Jacques" wrote in message
I have had a PSI and a Vicmark. Scrap the cheap Asian product(mostly
China) and buy the better built one (Nova). You get what you pay for in a
chuck. The better chuck will last many times longer than the cheap one.

These days it is hard to tell which products are made in China. LOL. There
is a 33% chance that a Teknatool tool was manufactured in a Teknatool owned
facility either in China, New Zealand or the U.S.

Either way I did buy the Super Nova 2.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:01:06 -0700, "Jacques" wrote:

I have had a PSI and a Vicmark. Scrap the cheap Asian product(mostly China)
and buy the better built one (Nova). You get what you pay for in a chuck.
The better chuck will last many times longer than the cheap one.

Or, you could buy Oneway, made in Canada..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I have had a PSI and a Vicmark. Scrap the cheap Asian product(mostly
China)
and buy the better built one (Nova). You get what you pay for in a chuck.
The better chuck will last many times longer than the cheap one.

Or, you could buy Oneway, made in Canada..

I turned my first maple "box" that also happened to have a nice friction fit
lid using the SN2 for the first time on Sunday. No instructions other than
a peppermill class that I took a few weeks ago. That particular class was
like a Chinese Fire Drill, it's a wonder I remembered how to turn the lathe
on. LOL

I hate to admit it but I am starting to drool over the Craft Supply catalog.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 10, 11:49*am, "Leon" wrote:

I hate to admit it but I am starting to drool over the Craft Supply catalog.

Uh, oh.....

I could write a book on how Craft Supplies ruined my life! I couldn't
wait for their catalogs to get here, and I would go off in the corner
at lunch when out on a job and scour the damn from cover to cover.

If you are still buying tools, their Artisan line is great, but not
always the bargain one might think.

Don't have any heartburn about the PSI Benjamin's Best line either. I
have bought a ton of their tools and they are a fine value. They
really helped me decide which tools I liked, which grinds I liked, and
how to free hand grind more complicated shapes.

On the minus side of the BB tools, when you buy a large tool the
handles are absurdly small. But, easy enough to turn a new one and
rehandle them properly. Just compare a HSS Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge to a
BB of the same size.

Yeah, I'll turn a new handle!

I know you have been turning for a while, Leon. Are you going to
start giving wood turning more shop time?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
On Apr 10, 11:49 am, "Leon" wrote:

I hate to admit it but I am starting to drool over the Craft Supply
catalog.

Uh, oh.....

I could write a book on how Craft Supplies ruined my life! I couldn't
wait for their catalogs to get here, and I would go off in the corner
at lunch when out on a job and scour the damn from cover to cover.

No kiddin!

If you are still buying tools, their Artisan line is great, but not
always the bargain one might think.

Not yet, I got my first lather for free about 30 years ago, it included some
tools, My Jet that I got 8 years ago had some tools and my wife bought 3 or
4 to go with those at the same time. Those are pretty nice however I cannot
tell you which brand. off hand. ;~)

I know you have been turning for a while, Leon. Are you going to
start giving wood turning more shop time?

Probably, in between paying gigs. ;~) I probably turned 40-50 pens last
year and sold about 10. 10 more than I really expected as I was wanting to
give them out as Christmas presents. Several were given as a thank you gift
with a piece of furniture that I sold. Well guess what, my sister bought a
majority and gave them as presents to the people I was going to give them
to. Oh well..

This year Pepper Mills and Salt Shakers I think.

Barracuda, Steelex chuck queries tom koehler Woodturning 23 December 7th 08 07:41 PM
Barracuda 2 Mike Courteau Woodturning 4 December 9th 05 03:02 AM
Barracuda 160GB 7200.2 HDD blown part Gary Electronics 7 August 13th 05 02:12 PM
Repairing Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk sg Electronics Repair 6 December 22nd 04 06:09 AM
FS: Nova 3000 & Outboard Tool Rest for Nova DVR3000 and 3000 Lathes bob bauer Woodturning 0 August 22nd 04 04:35 AM