Electronics (alt.electronics)

Gary

Default Barracuda 160GB 7200.2 HDD blown part

Hi.
Anyone recognize the part seen here with with the 100 stamped on it?
http://www.garyfixler.com/burned.jpg
http://www.garyfixler.com/preburn.jpg (despite name, also burned)

I believe this is the only part that burned last night when I switched this
drive from a LaCie usb/firewire d2 enclosure to the IDE cable in my PC. The
drive had died - power button wasn't working - so I figured I'd try it
internally, and the computer shut itself off about 0.2s after turning on,
and then I smelled the burning. I'm most likely just going to get a second
drive and swap the controller boards, but it would be nice to fix this one
if and when I get my data back.

Thanks
-gary
Jasen Betts

In article , Gary wrote:
Hi.
Anyone recognize the part seen here with with the 100 stamped on it?
http://www.garyfixler.com/burned.jpg

To me it looks looks like a surface mount capacitor 100uF
check to see if it's connected between +5V and ground.

one of these failing would make smoke like you described and
shut down the powersupply, and probably not take any other parts with it.

if it's connected between +5 and ground replace it with a similar part or
if you can't source one a regular electrolytic, or tantalum can probably
soldered in it's place.

Bye.
Jasen
Jasen Betts

In article , Gary wrote:
Hi.
Anyone recognize the part seen here with with the 100 stamped on it?
http://www.garyfixler.com/burned.jpg
http://www.garyfixler.com/preburn.jpg (despite name, also burned)

I believe this is the only part that burned last night when I switched this
drive from a LaCie usb/firewire d2 enclosure to the IDE cable in my PC. The
drive had died - power button wasn't working - so I figured I'd try it
internally, and the computer shut itself off about 0.2s after turning on,
and then I smelled the burning. I'm most likely just going to get a second
drive and swap the controller boards, but it would be nice to fix this one
if and when I get my data back.

at first glance (the colour image) it looked like a capacitor but in the other
image it seems to show what look like 4 terminals... i have no idea... some sort of
power transistor maybe?

Bye.
Jasen
Alexander

"Jasen Betts" schreef in bericht
In article , Gary wrote:
[...]

It looks more like a coil to me.

Noozer

It's an inductor... measured in Henry's (microhenrys for this part). Not
sure how to read the value, but it is 1 something (.100? 100? 10.0?) Google
should help you out.

I was able to fix a videocard with a damaged inductor by doing LOTs of
Googling and searching thick electronics catalogs.

"Gary" wrote in message
Hi.
Anyone recognize the part seen here with with the 100 stamped on it?
http://www.garyfixler.com/burned.jpg
http://www.garyfixler.com/preburn.jpg (despite name, also burned)

I believe this is the only part that burned last night when I switched
this
drive from a LaCie usb/firewire d2 enclosure to the IDE cable in my PC.
The
drive had died - power button wasn't working - so I figured I'd try it
internally, and the computer shut itself off about 0.2s after turning on,
and then I smelled the burning. I'm most likely just going to get a second
drive and swap the controller boards, but it would be nice to fix this one
if and when I get my data back.

Thanks
-gary

Alexander

Like I said a coil or inductor, it's value is 10 or 100 mH.
But you should also mind the voltage (current).

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

Jasen Betts

some sort of
power transistor maybe?

It looks more like a coil to me.

yeah, it's got that look, but why would a hard drive have a coil?

--

Bye.
Jasen
Alexander

"Jasen Betts" schreef in bericht
some sort of
power transistor maybe?

It looks more like a coil to me.

yeah, it's got that look, but why would a hard drive have a coil?

--

Bye.
Jasen

Perhaps for filtering or DC-DC conversion?

I have a customer who has for almost every IC an inductor for power
stability, if you short these out the whole product works perfectly (in lab
conditions anyway). So sometimes it is not always needed but only to make
circuits more stable.