Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Epoxy/urethane wood finish

I'm looking for a way to make a waterproof and food safe finish for
some projects, little things like turned goblets etc. I've tried all
the 'food safe' finishes on the market and all my projects have split
when exposed to standing water inside. All broke within 15 minutes.
After a lot of research, I'm finding that the most common advice is to
use epoxy to make the wood water tight. Loctite makes two versions,
the original and the extra time. I'm thinking of putting two coats of
epoxy on the inside of a goblet, sanding it smooth, and then putting
two coats of polyurethane over the whole thing inside and out. Has
anyone ever done anything like this or have any different ideas that
have worked for them in the past? I've read about the old rule that
all finishes are non toxic when cured...but things like poly take 30
days to fully cure?? Suggestions, ideas, comments anyone??
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 18, 10:19 am, wrote:
I've read about the old rule that
all finishes are non toxic when cured...but things like poly take 30
days to fully cure?? Suggestions, ideas, comments anyone??

I can't speak as to the other stuff, but I have looked at the MSDS for
GF Arm-R-Seal and Salad Bowl Finish and they are identical. I think
it's the exact same stuff with a different label on it.

-Kevin