Posted to rec.woodworking
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Default Urethane on top of Rose wood oil?

I have a cedar table that I will put Brazilian Rose Wood oil on to protect
from UV rays. It is 99% effective against UV rays. But as you know cedar
is pretty soft. Will Rose Wood oil harden the cedar at all? If not can I
put Urethane finish on top of the cedar that already has the rose wood oil
on it, or will this not stick?

Any advice or tips will be helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Apu Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:
I have a cedar table that I will put Brazilian Rose Wood oil on to protect
from UV rays. It is 99% effective against UV rays. But as you know cedar
is pretty soft. Will Rose Wood oil harden the cedar at all? If not can I
put Urethane finish on top of the cedar that already has the rose wood oil
on it, or will this not stick?

Assuming the oil is a 'drying' oil, that is one that cures or hardens,
you can probably use any finish over it.

Try it on an inconspicuous location first.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Apu Nahasapeemapetilon" wrote in message
. ..
I have a cedar table that I will put Brazilian Rose Wood oil on to protect
from UV rays. It is 99% effective against UV rays. But as you know cedar
is pretty soft. Will Rose Wood oil harden the cedar at all? If not can I
put Urethane finish on top of the cedar that already has the rose wood oil
on it, or will this not stick?

What the heck is Brazilian Rose Wood Oil?!

Posted to rec.woodworking
BigDaddy

"Toller" wrote in message

"Apu Nahasapeemapetilon" wrote in message
. ..
I have a cedar table that I will put Brazilian Rose Wood oil on to protect
from UV rays. It is 99% effective against UV rays. But as you know cedar
is pretty soft. Will Rose Wood oil harden the cedar at all? If not can I
put Urethane finish on top of the cedar that already has the rose wood oil
on it, or will this not stick?

What the heck is Brazilian Rose Wood Oil?!

I don't know either, but my lumber shop sold me a quart to put on Red Cedar
to protect it from UV. It has 99% UV protection so that the cedar does not
turn grey in the outdoor sunshine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"Apu Nahasapeemapetilon" wrote in message
. ..
I have a cedar table that I will put Brazilian Rose Wood oil on to

protect
from UV rays. It is 99% effective against UV rays. But as you know

cedar
is pretty soft. Will Rose Wood oil harden the cedar at all? If not can

put Urethane finish on top of the cedar that already has the rose wood

oil
on it, or will this not stick?

What the heck is Brazilian Rose Wood Oil?!

According to Penofin, the manufacturer, it really is made from oil
pressed from Brazilian Rosewood nuts.

--

FF