Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] newoodcraft@gmail.com is offline

Default Epoxy/urethane wood finish

I'm looking for a way to make a waterproof and food safe finish for
some projects, little things like turned goblets etc. I've tried all
the 'food safe' finishes on the market and all my projects have split
when exposed to standing water inside. All broke within 15 minutes.
After a lot of research, I'm finding that the most common advice is to
use epoxy to make the wood water tight. Loctite makes two versions,
the original and the extra time. I'm thinking of putting two coats of
epoxy on the inside of a goblet, sanding it smooth, and then putting
two coats of polyurethane over the whole thing inside and out. Has
anyone ever done anything like this or have any different ideas that
have worked for them in the past? I've read about the old rule that
all finishes are non toxic when cured...but things like poly take 30
days to fully cure?? Suggestions, ideas, comments anyone??