Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph[_10_] Ralph[_10_] is offline

Default Epoxy/urethane wood finish

On Mar 18, 7:19*am, wrote:
I'm looking for a way to make a waterproof and food safe finish for
some projects, little things like turned goblets etc. *I've tried all
the 'food safe' finishes on the market and all my projects have split
when exposed to standing water inside. *All broke within 15 minutes.
After a lot of research, I'm finding that the most common advice is to
use epoxy to make the wood water tight. *Loctite makes two versions,
the original and the extra time. *I'm thinking of putting two coats of
epoxy on the inside of a goblet, sanding it smooth, and then putting
two coats of polyurethane over the whole thing inside and out. *Has
anyone ever done anything like this or have any different ideas that
have worked for them in the past? *I've read about the old rule that
all finishes are non toxic when cured...but things like poly take 30
days to fully cure?? *Suggestions, ideas, comments anyone??

I use Enviro-Tex