Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Storing turning tools

While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Herbs News wrote:
While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

I have one of those magnetic bars. I made a small shelf to hold the
base, and the magnetic bar holds the tools in place. Works for me.
Some folks think that having a slightly magnetized tool is bad, but it
hasn't presented any problems to me...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Herbs News" wrote:

While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

Something like this, except without the backing board being too short
(as this picture is for the two gouges on the left)

http://www.bowlturner.com/Tools_copy.jpg

Points up - you can see them. No dulling. Easy to grab (don't have to
pull up out of a hole.) No cutting yourself inadvertently on the
up-pointing edges - if the backing board is high enough. Around a 70
degree angle is plenty to keep gouges in place.

I had a picture of mine somewhere, but I can't find it now. Shamelessly
borrowed from designs seen at a NHGWW lathe event in use by
demonstrators. I'm not clear if the one in the picture is screwed to the
wall or just leaning against it - mine is on a small table (old
typewriter tables are great for the shop) so it can be moved to the most
convenient position. I store stuff on top of the table, under the angled
back of the rack.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:27:04 -0700, "Herbs News"
wrote:

While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

I have a wooden wall rack, built from a Shopnotes plans. I extended
the rack to hold more tools. The tool leans toward the wall with the
heal resting in a convex circle. The tools are nearby and easily
removed or replaced.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'd go to the bicycle shop and buy a couple of heavy duty inter tubes.
Then use it to protect the cutting surfaces - insert half way and bend
over - wire wrap on. Store in a large tool box.

Once moved - put them in the rack.

You could color code the metal just above the handle for temp use and protection.

Martin

Herbs News wrote:
While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The tools I am using go in a freestanding horizontal rack I move around
between my lathes. For storage or hauling to demos I use 5 gallon buckets
filled 1/3 with sawdust, tools point down.
-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello,

That's a really good question... :-) I was a production woodturner for
more than 12 years and accumulated a lot of tools. I've experimented
with many different ways to store them efficiently and have settled
upon mechanic's tool boxes. They have lots of drawers and will store
all, or most of your accessories as well in the larger drawers. I have
a large tool box (5' high) that houses the bulk of my tools. Clean and
efficient, and the shallow drawers making finding tools a snap!

For project based tool storage, I typically use a rolling cart with
the necessary tools on the top, situated in between two risers to
prevent them from rolling off. The top of the cart is covered with
carpet, which keeps them from rolling around when there are only a few
being used. I used to use a magnetic rack, but it would not hold
enough tools. I've seen some really nice purpose built racks that are
great as well, if you have the time and inclination to build one. I
really prefer the mechanic's tool boxes, though... Easily expandable
and you can roll them around to the lathe if necessary. This let's you
have not only your turning tools nearby, but all of the other jigs,
centres, and accessories as well. Good luck and best wishes!

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steve Russell
Eurowood Werks Studio
The Woodlands, Texas
www.woodturningvideosplus.com

On Mar 12, 11:27*am, "Herbs News" wrote:
While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. *Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. *Ideas
please.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Herbs News" wrote:

While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

A combination of methods. A mag strip, magnetic dots and a small
mag-dish for smaller items. A Jet tool-holder (fits between the ways)
for the bowl gouges (point down) and then a series of clusters of ABS
pipe that holds the rest of the tools point up. The last sitting on a
mechanic tool chest that holds all the bits and accessory tools

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:27:04 -0700, "Herbs News" wrote:

While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

When I moved, my long tools came down in 5 gallon buckets with 2" foam in the
bottom..
Easy to carry, stayed sharp and didn't get lost in a stack of U-Haul boxes..
YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Herbs News wrote:
While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

I store most of mine in my lathe bench

http://jbstein.com/Flick/lathe1.JPG

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:46:11 -0500, Jack Stein wrote:

Herbs News wrote:
While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. Ideas
please.

I store most of mine in my lathe bench

when you're moving to a new shop?

I think a lot of us missed the "moving" part and just saw "store tools"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 13, 3:51*pm, (Mike Paulson) wrote:
The tools I am using go in a freestanding horizontal rack I move around
between my lathes. *For storage or hauling to demos I use 5 gallon buckets
filled 1/3 with sawdust, tools point down.
* * -mike paulson, fort collins, co

Where ever do you get enough sawdust/wood shavings to fill an entire
third of a 5-gallon bucket?
Phil
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Where ever do you get enough sawdust/wood shavings to fill an entire
third of a 5-gallon bucket?

Gee, I dunno. It's a mystery, even to me. I think somebody sneaks in at
night and leaves them....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
Where ever do you get enough sawdust/wood shavings to fill an entire
third of a 5-gallon bucket?

Gee, I dunno. It's a mystery, even to me. I think somebody sneaks in at
night and leaves them....

All I have to do is look at my lathe and all the sudden...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Storing tools?

ship the tools in the brown trucks, they'll never be delivered and you
have an excuse for buying new ones.

sawdust?

sweepings around the garbage cans I filled with the day's shavings.

(sorry, the tool & sawdust monsters made me post this)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:51:53 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:

"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
Where ever do you get enough sawdust/wood shavings to fill an entire
third of a 5-gallon bucket?

Gee, I dunno. It's a mystery, even to me. I think somebody sneaks in at
night and leaves them....

All I have to do is look at my lathe and all the sudden...

Mother Nature sure compresses those shavings...
Seems like I get a trash bag of shavings from a little 10" bowl.. lol