Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell[_4_] Steve Russell[_4_] is offline

Default Storing turning tools

Hello,

That's a really good question... :-) I was a production woodturner for
more than 12 years and accumulated a lot of tools. I've experimented
with many different ways to store them efficiently and have settled
upon mechanic's tool boxes. They have lots of drawers and will store
all, or most of your accessories as well in the larger drawers. I have
a large tool box (5' high) that houses the bulk of my tools. Clean and
efficient, and the shallow drawers making finding tools a snap!

For project based tool storage, I typically use a rolling cart with
the necessary tools on the top, situated in between two risers to
prevent them from rolling off. The top of the cart is covered with
carpet, which keeps them from rolling around when there are only a few
being used. I used to use a magnetic rack, but it would not hold
enough tools. I've seen some really nice purpose built racks that are
great as well, if you have the time and inclination to build one. I
really prefer the mechanic's tool boxes, though... Easily expandable
and you can roll them around to the lathe if necessary. This let's you
have not only your turning tools nearby, but all of the other jigs,
centres, and accessories as well. Good luck and best wishes!

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steve Russell
Eurowood Werks Studio
The Woodlands, Texas
www.woodturningvideosplus.com

On Mar 12, 11:27*am, "Herbs News" wrote:
While in the process of moving and setting up my shop again, have a
question -- what is the best way to store turning tools. *Have about three
dozen gouges and scrapers and would like to store them where 1) they don't
take up a lot of space and 2) be able to find what I want quickly. *Ideas
please.