Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Pen turning

How do pens sell, generally? Any tips for selling them? Do light or
dark wood sell better? Exotics versus domestics?

MJ

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

since everyone can make them, I think it is becoming something of a
challange to sell them
"mtjones" wrote in message
How do pens sell, generally? Any tips for selling them? Do light or dark
wood sell better? Exotics versus domestics?

MJ

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message 2009022400095616807-marshalljones@carolinarrcom, mtjones
writes
How do pens sell, generally? Any tips for selling them? Do light or
dark wood sell better? Exotics versus domestics?

MJ

Someone gives you money you take it and give them the pen

If anyone knows which woods sell better its unlikely they will tell you,
they have found a niche and probably don't want to loose it

With pen turning you can do fancy plain big small thick thin, a million
and one species let alone finishes. And each will have a customer, the
hard bit is finding them. I know those who like light coloured woods as
they are different ( Ash . Holly) and others who like dark (Rosewood,
Acacia) some perfectly smooth and others with lots of coarse grain

If their was a magical formula you can have your pens, I would be
patenting the formula and selling that
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:09:56 -0500, mtjones
wrote:

How do pens sell, generally? Any tips for selling them? Do light or
dark wood sell better? Exotics versus domestics?

MJ

Depends on your area and your pens..
Anyone else in your "network" making them?
Are your pens distinctive but usable?

I sold a few in the States, mostly to friends because so many other folks were
making them..
Most people seem to buy the dark woods like bocote and cocobolo, some walnut,
etc..

Here in Baja, I'm the only turner and pens sell very well, especially the
ironwood ones, in the "classic' and "Cigar" kits..
Better plating should justify higher prices, but it doesn't seem to..

I show $50 pens in 10k gold and $65 in the more expensive platings and very few
folks buy the higher priced pens..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 23, 11:09*pm, mtjones wrote:
How do pens sell, generally? *Any tips for selling them? *Do light or
dark wood sell better? *Exotics versus domestics?

MJ

Hello MJ,

My experience over the last 13 years has shown that the darker exotics
and high figured local timbers sell better than lighter timbers.
Anything that is highly figured - (burrs, curl etc) does well. Having
said that, most of my clients and collectors are women (98%) and
prefer the coloured plastics over timbers most of the time. Men seem
to prefer darker timbers and burrs. It really depends on your area
though, so make several and test the waters in your area. Among the
timbers Cocobolo and Ironwood were reliable favorites. Also, whitetail
deer antler is popular with hunters in my area.

Steve Russell
Eurowood Werks Studio
The Woodlands, Texas
www.woodturningvideosplus.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My personal preferance in making pens have ben the larger cigar style in
buckeye burl or ambonia. Like Steve and Mac stated, highly figured woods.
I found out recently by making one (as a request) bullet pens seem to
attract a certain moronic element with money to speare. I hate these things
as they have no artistic value (to me) but I love them because I can't make
enough of them. Great profit margin too!

New to turning. Jesse Woodturning 9 March 30th 07 05:34 PM
Pen Turning Mark Russell Woodturning 9 April 19th 06 12:31 PM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM
I'm done turning for a while william kossack Woodturning 29 March 23rd 04 04:16 AM