Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Pen turning

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:09:56 -0500, mtjones
wrote:

How do pens sell, generally? Any tips for selling them? Do light or
dark wood sell better? Exotics versus domestics?

MJ

Depends on your area and your pens..
Anyone else in your "network" making them?
Are your pens distinctive but usable?

I sold a few in the States, mostly to friends because so many other folks were
making them..
Most people seem to buy the dark woods like bocote and cocobolo, some walnut,
etc..

Here in Baja, I'm the only turner and pens sell very well, especially the
ironwood ones, in the "classic' and "Cigar" kits..
Better plating should justify higher prices, but it doesn't seem to..

I show $50 pens in 10k gold and $65 in the more expensive platings and very few
folks buy the higher priced pens..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing