Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sassafras gloat

Yesterday a friend was cleaning up a fence row and I grabbed a 10 inch
sassafras tree and cut 32 bowl blanks from it and sealed the ends. I
counted 52 growth rings. The wood is light, even when wet and reminds
me of catalpa although a little heavier.

This morning I roughed out 5 bowls in an hour and 15 minutes. This
included measuring, bandsawing, mounting, changing chucks and tool
rests out. During this time I also emptied the shavings collector and
cleaned out the hose several times and sharpened the gouges. Once the
blank is balanced you can really hog out the wood and it smells like
spicy soap.

I love green wood turning except getting up the mountain of shavings.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Detour: The roughest distance between
two points.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerald, Did you save the roots and brew some Sassafras Tea? I heard
it prevents salmonella infections (or is that a sore subject in South
Georgia?)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:01:09 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

You really suck, Gerald...

When you wear you ol' butt out with all that turning, our neighbor swears by
sassafras tea for joint problems, etc...
Claims that a few cups a day for a week and you're good as new..

I tried it for 2 weeks and am NOT good as new, but have much more willpower when
someone offers me a root beer...

Yesterday a friend was cleaning up a fence row and I grabbed a 10 inch
sassafras tree and cut 32 bowl blanks from it and sealed the ends. I
counted 52 growth rings. The wood is light, even when wet and reminds
me of catalpa although a little heavier.

This morning I roughed out 5 bowls in an hour and 15 minutes. This
included measuring, bandsawing, mounting, changing chucks and tool
rests out. During this time I also emptied the shavings collector and
cleaned out the hose several times and sharpened the gouges. Once the
blank is balanced you can really hog out the wood and it smells like
spicy soap.

I love green wood turning except getting up the mountain of shavings.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
Hi Gerald, Did you save the roots and brew some Sassafras Tea? I heard
it prevents salmonella infections (or is that a sore subject in South
Georgia?)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Hi Arch
Good to hear from you. I guess my email & newsgroup client thinks you
are a spammer.

No I didn't make any sassafras tea. I drank my share years ago. That's
why I have never had any dread disease nor sense. Also pine splinter
water for croup. And two drops of kerosene on a spoonful of sugar.
It's a wonder I survived the treatment.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Detour: The roughest distance between
two points.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerald, I'm sorry your client blocked some of my posts, but you
didn't miss much.

Hi Mac, I'm just as sorry that too many made it to Mexico.

Here's some more scientific Cracker spam you'll remember while turning
your sassafras. Rosin gum becomes chewing gum if you chew it long
enough, but rabbit tobacco never becomes a 'home run' cigarette or even
a 14 cents a pack of 'wings' , not even 'ready to roll'. It's ok to use
kerosene on a sugar lump if you can't afford moonshine or can't inhale
turps vapors directly from the still.

It's been a cold winter this year. Guess you knew it would be when bacon
sputtered in the frying pan. Then there was always a cold sweet potato
and clabber sundae for desert before that terrible towel slathered with
musterole warmed you up in the cold bed across the room from the
fireplace.

I don't know what that ex patriate Mexican woodturner dealt with in his
wasted youth, but judging by the man, it couldn't have been good for
him. Now, I've done it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter