Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Reeves Drive Question

I have a couple of reeves drives questions.

I am restoring a used lathe that has a Reeves Drive. I replace the belts
that were worn and cracked in several places with belts that crossed from
Gates. I wanted to go with link belt but the biggest link belt was too
narrow to fit the pulley on the motor. The belts were very tight I could
tell they were too tight initially so I put some spacers under the motor.
That definitely helped. I alligned everything the best I could but there is
still some vibration.

I wanted to ask if the pulleys normally get warm/hot when spinning? I went
over the pulleys and the shaft and cleaned everything up so there isn't an
issue with friction there. It just seems like the pullyes are getting
warmer than they should be.

When I go to replace the belt I will probably replace it with link belt and
find a pulley that will fit the Link Belt for the motor. Where is a good
source for pulleys. I looked at MSC but am not sure they had one that would
work.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:00:13 -0500, "John Gbur" wrote:

I'm sort of confused on why a link belt wouldn't fit the pulleys?

Reeves drives have 2 pulleys, and as far as I know, both are variable size, to
make the speed change..

I know that they sold me 3/8" link for my Jet 1442 and it was thinner than the
Jet belt, but it still fit... Just changed the speed a bit until I got the 1/2"
link belt..

I think all reeves drives are going to be a bit warm.. I think that you have
more contact area between the belt and pulleys than a standard setup would have,
right?

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John,

I'm confused.

Reading your message, I infer that your lathe has only one adjustable
(Reeves) pulley, and that is on the lathe, and the pulley on the motor
is fixed. My setup has two, so that as the lathe pulley expands the
motor pulley contracts. If you have only one pulley changing, I think
you will have some issues with belt tightness as you go from low to
high speed.

Observing my rig closely, I realized that the only at midrange does
the belt run perpendicular to the motor shaft, otherwise it is
slightly canted to one side or another. this could lead to friction
on the side of the pulley, and cause the heat you noted.

My belt is in an enclosure, and I never checked whether the pulleys
heated up.

Not much help, I fear, just friendly conversation.

Old guy

On Nov 5, 8:00*pm, "John Gbur" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks,

I think this reeves drive is a little different than some though I have not
examined the newer ones Closely. This one has two fixed pulleys. One on
the lathe shaft, one on the motor and then a reeves variable pulley and two
belts. Thanks for the suggestions though it did help. I may due some more
tweaking to get the full range of shifting, but I have things working and
have been turning with it and all is well. Thanks again for all the advice!

"Old Guy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John
You might want to check with the General company. I was helping a
friend with a new to him lathe, one of the General 160's with variable
speed. It uses a single fixed pulley on the shaft of the motor and a
fixed pulley on the lathe spindle. These are connected via belts to a
movable pair of pulleys on a jack shaft. For General this is old and
established technology.
On the other hand, if you have it working, why fix it?

Darrell Feltmate
http://aroundthewoods.com