Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old Guy Old Guy is offline

Default Reeves Drive Question

John,

I'm confused.

Reading your message, I infer that your lathe has only one adjustable
(Reeves) pulley, and that is on the lathe, and the pulley on the motor
is fixed. My setup has two, so that as the lathe pulley expands the
motor pulley contracts. If you have only one pulley changing, I think
you will have some issues with belt tightness as you go from low to
high speed.

Observing my rig closely, I realized that the only at midrange does
the belt run perpendicular to the motor shaft, otherwise it is
slightly canted to one side or another. this could lead to friction
on the side of the pulley, and cause the heat you noted.

My belt is in an enclosure, and I never checked whether the pulleys
heated up.

Not much help, I fear, just friendly conversation.

Old guy

On Nov 5, 8:00*pm, "John Gbur" wrote:
I have a couple of reeves drives questions.

I am restoring a used lathe that has a Reeves Drive. *I replace the belts
that were worn and cracked in several places with belts that crossed from
Gates. *I wanted to go with link belt but the biggest link belt was too
narrow to fit the pulley on the motor. *The belts were very tight I could
tell they were too tight initially so I put some spacers under the motor.
That definitely helped. *I alligned everything the best I could but there is
still some vibration.

*I wanted to ask if the pulleys normally get warm/hot when spinning? *I went
over the pulleys and the shaft and cleaned everything up so there isn't an
issue with friction there. *It just seems like the pullyes are getting
warmer than they should be.

When I go to replace the belt I will probably replace it with link belt and
find a pulley that will fit the Link Belt for the motor. *Where is a good
source for pulleys. *I looked at MSC but am not sure they had one that would
work.

Thanks.