Joe C.

Default Reeves drive probs

I'm having problems with the reeves drive on my Jet 1442.

When I try to use the 3 highest speeds, the pulley on the motor shaft stops
'compressing' (for lack of a better term) leading to slack in the belt and a
loss of drive. All the slower speeds work fine....

Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

Joe C.

Leo Lichtman

"Joe C" wrote: (clip)what did you do to fix it?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Clean and lubricate the motor shaft and pulley-half. For a lubricant, I
would suggest something like paraffin or some kind of dry lube, so there is
less tendency to accumulate wood dust. If you can get it working without
disassembly, good. If you want to take it apart for a more thorough
cleaning, you need to take the clip off the end of the shaft (if it's like
my Jet 1236). Good idea to tie a string to the clip, so when it flies away
you can find it.

Earl

Had a Reeves drive for a long time and had about every problem you
could have! My guess is it has to be pretty much one of two things. The
shafts got dirty, rusty or sticky so the moveable pulley sticks. Best
solution is to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. But that
usually happens to the other pulley set. Sometimes a few drops of
penetrating oil on the shaft does the trick. Other problem might be the
set screw on the moveable pulley has come loose and let that pulley
push to far away from the moveable one. If so, re-loosen it and push it
in a little closer. Tighten, test, do it again, etc.
Earl