Eastburn

Default O.T. How come America and Canada drive on the "Wrong" side of theroad

The British Empire thought driving on the left side provided the driver
better sighting or such. They went their way, everyone else in the
world
went driving on the right.

So a commandment from a King makes it the only way ? Ha!

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
mikee

Here is a link that discusses which side of the road different countries
drive on. Turns out the U.S did drive on the left during colonial days.

Mike Eberlein

mastic wrote:

Since the group has so many intelligent people on it here is a
question that you may be able to answer for me.
I have often wondered how come America and Canada drive on the "Wrong"
side of the road. Since the Brits drive on the left and all British
colonies drive on the left how come America and Canada drive on the
right keeping in mind that they were also British colonies?

mikee

Forgot the link. Sorry 'bout that

Here is a link that discusses which side of the road different countries
drive on. Turns out the U.S did drive on the left during colonial days.

http://www.travel-library.com/genera...hich_side.html

Mike Eberlein

mastic wrote:

Since the group has so many intelligent people on it here is a
question that you may be able to answer for me.
I have often wondered how come America and Canada drive on the "Wrong"
side of the road. Since the Brits drive on the left and all British
colonies drive on the left how come America and Canada drive on the
right keeping in mind that they were also British colonies?

Mike Firth

Actually, the legend is that riding on the left side of the road gives the
right handed weapons carrier the advantage.
I know that British owned railroads in America (Chicago and Northwestern)
run their locomotives and trains on the left on dual tracks meeting other
trains while American ran them on the right. When and why we changed,
perhaps with the Revolutionary war, I don't know.
This site http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/V...rive-right.htm
explores the idea that Napoleon enforced driving on the right in Europe and
those he conquered passed it on, where before everyone had driven on the
left, apparently since Roman times. All of the former British colonies
across the southern hemisphere (South Africa, India, Australia, etc.) still
drive on the left.
--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
"Eastburn" wrote in message
The British Empire thought driving on the left side provided the driver
better sighting or such. They went their way, everyone else in the
world
went driving on the right.

So a commandment from a King makes it the only way ? Ha!

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Mark Rand

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 04:54:45 GMT, Eastburn wrote:

The British Empire thought driving on the left side provided the driver
better sighting or such. They went their way, everyone else in the
world
went driving on the right.

So a commandment from a King makes it the only way ? Ha!

Martin

If you are right handed and you pass people on the right, you will get your
ribs broken when you lance glances off them!

Mark Rand
RTFM