Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing 5914 - Reeves drive pulley squeaks (resolved)

Things were too clean. A bit of belt dressing on the belt and the noise
all stopped. Now I can hear all the other noises.

The belt dressing is Gold Eagle 61498, bought from a local auto parts
store.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:09:27 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

Things were too clean. A bit of belt dressing on the belt and the noise
all stopped. Now I can hear all the other noises.

The belt dressing is Gold Eagle 61498, bought from a local auto parts
store.

Joe Gwinn

Your welcome

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Things were too clean. A bit of belt dressing on the belt and the noise
all stopped. Now I can hear all the other noises.

The belt dressing is Gold Eagle 61498, bought from a local auto parts
store.

Joe Gwinn

Your welcome

Gunner

Thanks. And I do wish that the prior owners of this lathe had known at
least one machine-tool tech. Although it has been educational.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:55:07 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

Things were too clean. A bit of belt dressing on the belt and the noise
all stopped. Now I can hear all the other noises.

The belt dressing is Gold Eagle 61498, bought from a local auto parts
store.

Joe Gwinn

Your welcome

Gunner

Thanks. And I do wish that the prior owners of this lathe had known at
least one machine-tool tech. Although it has been educational.

Joe Gwinn

Now you are starting to become one. Makes the next one easier to
work on, now that you have started training your brain as to how
things work..but WHY they work..or dont....the priniples all being
alike

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:55:07 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

Things were too clean. A bit of belt dressing on the belt and the noise
all stopped. Now I can hear all the other noises.

The belt dressing is Gold Eagle 61498, bought from a local auto parts
store.

Joe Gwinn

Your welcome

Gunner

Thanks. And I do wish that the prior owners of this lathe had known at
least one machine-tool tech. Although it has been educational.

Joe Gwinn

Now you are starting to become one. Makes the next one easier to
work on, now that you have started training your brain as to how
things work..but WHY they work..or dont....the priniples all being
alike

All true, at least I hope so.

But I think it would have been more cost-effective and time-effective if
I had gotten much cleaner machine from an expensive dealer. I've got to
have spent the difference already, and there are still things to fix.

Like the hydraulics - can't quite go to the slowest speed on the reeves
drive. Clausing says to take the upper hydraulic cylinder (at the speed
control wheel) apart and redo the seals, and I expect that they are
right.

On the other hand, even the nice machine from the nice dealer probably
will require something. But still.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:38:37 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:55:07 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

And the ugly machine will have more pleasant surprises than
disappointments.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:38:37 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:55:07 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

IRRC...they are simple O rings. Its easy to pull apart and check. And
to bleed after you put it back together.

On the other hand, even the nice machine from the nice dealer probably
will require something. But still.

Yes, they often do.

I brokered a nice machine for a client a while back, 16x42 Mori Seiki
Dro and everything, steady, etc etc

All the dials were in metric. and the metric/english button was busted
on the DRO.

$5000

We didnt find out till AFTER it was on the shop floor.

Shrug

Joe Gwinn