Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Questions on Inboard Spindle Nut J-line Lathe

Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. It looks like it requires some kind of
spanner wrench. There are four square slots cut in the nut around the edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. This may be a very common type
of nut but I have not seen one before. If anyone has a source for ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 11, 9:55, "John Gbur" wrote:
Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. *It looks like it requires some kind of
spanner wrench. *There are four square slots cut in the nut around the edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. *This may be a very common type
of nut but I have not seen one before. *If anyone has a source for ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. *Thanks!

John I know the kind of nut you mean, I have worked with them, we
called them ring nuts, but I don't know what they are called here.
We did have a tool for them, I'll try to describe it, a flat tool
handle with the last 5 inches curved like a ( and a hook on the end
like a 7, a hinged 5 inch jaw on the handle also curved like a ) and a
hook like the 7 but backwards.
to use the tool, one hook would go into one slot and the other into
the opposite slot, you hold the tool so the hooks will work in the
direction you want the ring to turn.
However I have used brass pins and even a screwdriver when no other
choice, to hammer the ring loose, they were very often used in pairs
to lock them in place, I hope you can make sense out of my description.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

They are Martin wrenches.

Sorry for that - but I call them pin wrenches myself.

There are fixed ones and adjustable ones.

I suggest an adjustable one to fit firmly.

The pin reaches over the top into a hole and you can pull the pin
around... flip it over and it reverses.

http://www.wttool.com/category-exec/category_id/16052

Hope this helps.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

John Gbur wrote:
Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. It looks like it requires some kind of
spanner wrench. There are four square slots cut in the nut around the edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. This may be a very common type
of nut but I have not seen one before. If anyone has a source for ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks to all. I didn't realize there was a lock washer I needed to bend
the tab down on. Once I did that I was able to get it off. Thanks for the
tip on the tool as well. Thanks!

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will

take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. It looks like it requires some kind

of
spanner wrench. There are four square slots cut in the nut around the

edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. This may be a very common type
of nut but I have not seen one before. If anyone has a source for

ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Da - didn't read well enough - that was a pin wrench - do you have holes ?

If you don't have holes, then a flat one is needed. Perhaps you can find
a quick one at the Dollar store... those flat cheap punch out wrenches
are useful from time to time.

If there are holes in the flats then the wrench is it.

Glad you got the nut off.

My nut is just knurled for hand tightening. The nut on the outboard (left hand)
was lost in moving 40 or 50 years ago. Such is life.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will

take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. It looks like it requires some kind

of
spanner wrench. There are four square slots cut in the nut around the

edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. This may be a very common type
of nut but I have not seen one before. If anyone has a source for

ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
On Oct 11, 9:55, "John Gbur" wrote:
Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will
take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. It looks like it requires some kind of
spanner wrench. There are four square slots cut in the nut around the
edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. This may be a very common type
of nut but I have not seen one before. If anyone has a source for ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. Thanks!

try this link to see a variety of the proper type of wrench
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/hand-...-wrenches.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think he needs the hook spanner wrench as shown on the bottom of the
page Biill Noble linked to, and as I said those nuts are used very
often in pairs, to lock them here they used a lock washer/ring, the
cutouts in the nut/ring are square, mind you the marten tool could
probably be used in a pinch ;-))

have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will

take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. *It looks like it requires some kind

of
spanner wrench. *There are four square slots cut in the nut around the

edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. *This may be a very common type
of nut but I have not seen one before. *If anyone has a source for

ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. *Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Update. I did end up order a wrench. No problem getting it off but need to
draw a bearing back in using the nut. I think a the hook spanner wrench
will do the trick. I saw the pin wrenches and knew they wouldn't work,
wasn't sure what they were called. Thanks again to all.

"John Gbur" wrote in message
Curious if anyone having a J-line knows where to get a wrench that will

take
off the nut on the inboard spindle. It looks like it requires some kind

of
spanner wrench. There are four square slots cut in the nut around the

edge.
A standard wrench will obvisouly not work. This may be a very common

type
of nut but I have not seen one before. If anyone has a source for

ordering
the wrench or knows what its called please let me know. Thanks!

News==----http://www.pronews.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups