Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default buying lathe, craftsman?

Hi,

I have a little money saved and would like to get a lathe. I have between
400 and 700 u.s. dollars. I know that is not much, but I'd like to know
what my options are, if I have any at all. Could someone advice me on this.
Thanks,.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have the 15" Craftsman and like it. Seems to me it must be 8 or 9 years
old now so it has had some use. I thought the drive belt looked a bit warn
and that might be why.
http://aroundthewoods.com/woodturnin...glathes05.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Tom Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I have a little money saved and would like to get a lathe. I have between
400 and 700 u.s. dollars. I know that is not much, but I'd like to know
what my options are, if I have any at all. Could someone advice me on
this. Thanks,.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:28:58 -0600, Tom Huntress wrote:

Hi,

I have a little money saved and would like to get a lathe. I have between
400 and 700 u.s. dollars. I know that is not much, but I'd like to know
what my options are, if I have any at all. Could someone advice me on this.
Thanks,.

The best I've seen for that price is a General mini-lathe. It has a
swivel head and an outboard swing of about 18-19". Electronic variable
speed as well. I bought one and am quite happy with it. IIRC, it was
around $550. I think you can get a bed extension for it if you want to
turn long spindles.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

you have plenty of $$ to get a reasonably good lathe, particularly if you
are patient and get a used one.

I've seen VicMarc and others at that price with tooling. Remember, if you
buy new that you should figure that tools will cost about what the lathe
costs
"Tom Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I have a little money saved and would like to get a lathe. I have between
400 and 700 u.s. dollars. I know that is not much, but I'd like to know
what my options are, if I have any at all. Could someone advice me on
this. Thanks,.

Tom

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On May 24, 8:28*pm, "Tom Huntress" wrote:
Hi,

I have a little money saved and would like to get a lathe. *I have between
400 and 700 u.s. dollars. *I know that is not much, but I'd like to know
what my options are, if I have any at all. *Could someone advice me on this.
Thanks,.

Tom

Hi,
Depends on what you want to use the lathe for? The amount you have
will buy a really nice Mini lathe (like a Jet) with some tools and
assc. or maybe a nice chuck.
If you are looking at a full sixe lathe... Delta has one for around
700 bucks.
I would also consider grizzly. the have some full size lathes that
dont cost hat much and they will ship to you. You might want o check
out there webiste.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the ranks of addicted wood spinners.

When you buy a table saw, and take it home, it is ready to saw wood.

When you buy a lathe and take it home, it is ready to turn on and
watch it spin. That's all.

In order to get any use out of it, you need, an electric grinder with
a good adjustable angle tool rest. Most of us like use the friable
wheels, but I know not all.

A few good lathe chisels. A scroll chuck. (I turned for two years
without one, and realized I wasted a LOT of time.)

Then you can put some wood on it and get results.

I suggest you figure half your budget for the lathe, the other half
for the other stuff, and othe other half for things that you discover
you need like good sandpaper.

Have fun....

Old Guy