Jack Fearnley

Default Is this Craftsman lathe worth buying?

I am looking at a Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C that a guy wants to
sell for $200 Canadian (about $150 US). It is on a stand and comes with
Craftsman chisels of unknown quality.

I am not really in the market for a lathe just yet but if this is a
potential gloat I wouldn't want to miss it!

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

BobS

Jack,

Although many of us here own a lath, your question would probably get a
better response if asked over in * rec.crafts.woodturning *

Bob S.

"Jack Fearnley" wrote in message
I am looking at a Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C that a guy wants to
sell for $200 Canadian (about $150 US). It is on a stand and comes with
Craftsman chisels of unknown quality.

I am not really in the market for a lathe just yet but if this is a
potential gloat I wouldn't want to miss it!

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

Joe_Stein

This isn't the best NG to post your question. There are a lot of
Craftsman bashers on here.

Anyway, I say GO FOR IT. I had a C'man lathe years ago and I'm still
kicking myself for ever selling it.

Cheers.
Joe

Jack Fearnley wrote:
I am looking at a Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C that a guy wants to
sell for $200 Canadian (about $150 US). It is on a stand and comes with
Craftsman chisels of unknown quality.

I am not really in the market for a lathe just yet but if this is a
potential gloat I wouldn't want to miss it!

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

Robatoy

http://tinyurl.com/crnpy

Well they still have a whole list of parts available at sears.com
http://www3.sears.com/Paul/model_sea...num=113.228000
You can se in the diagram the bed is a single pole. I think it would be a good
deal for a learner tool if it works. Those chisels are very expensive new and
better if they are the HSS ones.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

LRod

On Fri, 27 May 2005 20:23:52 GMT, Joe_Stein
wrote:

This isn't the best NG to post your question. There are a lot of
Craftsman bashers on here.

Anyway, I say GO FOR IT. I had a C'man lathe years ago and I'm still
kicking myself for ever selling it.

Here's your chance to redeem yourself if you live anywhere near NE FL.
I have one, with a substantial shop built stand and a set of Craftsman
chisels, plus several accessories (face plates, tool rests, centers,
etc.).
$150

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:38:43 -0400, Jack Fearnley
wrote:

I am looking at a Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C that a guy wants to
sell for $200 Canadian (about $150 US). It is on a stand and comes with
Craftsman chisels of unknown quality.

I am not really in the market for a lathe just yet but if this is a
potential gloat I wouldn't want to miss it!

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

this is an OK price, depending on how many chisels are included....
Jack Fearnley

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
Jack Fearnley wrote:

Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C

http://tinyurl.com/crnpy

I am not asking the group anything Sears can tell me. I already phoned them.
They certainly wouldn't share anything negative about quality or know about
resale prices.

While I don't know much about turning, I'm not asking the group to teach me.
I read lots of useful information about different models of equipment on
this group and I was hoping to get some guidance.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley
robo hippy

It can be a good lathe to start out on and the price seems to be about
right. Ir you get into serious turning, and bigger turnings. you will
want something better. I started out on a small 4 speed Atlas. I worked
it to death for 2 years, and then traded up.
robo hippy

C & S

I had one of those.

I recently sold it for $100. It served me well for a decade of light use.
$150 is not a gloat but not unreasonable either.

I replaced it with a JET 1442. Mostly because the quality was so so and it
was engineered to be fussy to use. For instance, the lock on the tool rest
2" handle that encapsulates a nut on a spring. To use it, turn, hit bench,
pull out reposition turn repeat...... Which is not to say that it did not
work... it was just not elegant.

It's a good starter lathe but I'd dicker a bit.

-Steve

"Jack Fearnley" wrote in message
I am looking at a Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C that a guy wants to
sell for $200 Canadian (about $150 US). It is on a stand and comes with
Craftsman chisels of unknown quality.

I am not really in the market for a lathe just yet but if this is a
potential gloat I wouldn't want to miss it!

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

Jack Fearnley

C & S wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the prompt feedback. I have decided against the purchase.
When I am ready for it I'll buy a decent lathe and learn properly on it.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

Patriarch

Jack Fearnley wrote in
:

I am not really in the market for a lathe just yet but if this is a
potential gloat I wouldn't want to miss it!

Are you a tool collector? A 'producer'? An explorer/learner?

Who you are, and why you have tools, should tell you more about whether you
should part with some of your money to buy this lathe.

If you buy just to gloat, then you have to go quite a ways to top the
fellow who reported that he brought home a vintage Unisaw for $100 last
week from a friend's father's estate.

You ought to be able to get your money back, if it turns out you don't like
turning. Personally, I found that turning is a quite satisfying, and
somewhat addictive pastime.

Patriarch
Rob Mills

"AAvK" wrote in message

Well they still have a whole list of parts available at sears.com

Don't know why but just because they have the parts listed doesn't mean they
have them. You don't know until you take a part to check out if it's
available or not. I have a 20 plus year old 6X48 stationary belt sander that
they have all the parts listed but the only ones they still have are common
nuts and bolts.
Luckily my sander is still doing it's thing. RM~

D Steck

You ought to be able to get your money back, if it turns out you don't
like
turning. Personally, I found that turning is a quite satisfying, and
somewhat addictive pastime.

Patriarch

Thanks Patriarch, you've sealed it for me. I've always been fearful of
buying a lathe. I figure if I do, I'll have hundreds of tables legs - and
no tables. Thousands of banister spindles, and no railings and more bowls
than I could use in a lifetime!!!! LOL.

I have one of these and they are fine and work well for a starter. I
made many early american tables and other turnings over the years. I
will say this, I bought mine for about $300 about 35 years ago and
built my own stand (the motor may have been extra). About a year ago,
you could buy the same thing at Home Depot for about $200 on sale
(regular price was about $300) that had some improvements over mine and
it included the motor and the stand. I swear that most of it was built
with the same tooling as mine was. How do you like that for reverse
inflation??

Bob G.

Well they still have a whole list of parts available at sears.com

Don't know why but just because they have the parts listed doesn't mean they
have them. You don't know until you take a part to check out if it's
available or not. I have a 20 plus year old 6X48 stationary belt sander that
they have all the parts listed but the only ones they still have are common
nuts and bolts.
Luckily my sander is still doing it's thing. RM~

==========================
Very true... I have my Dads Craftsman 6 inch thickness planer "on
display" in my shop... Manufactured in 1939.... whcih makes it 4
years older then I am... Anyhow I was going to restore it .after I
saw that Sears had the parts.... LISTED ! BUT not available...

It still works..BTW.... and IT has to weight close to a ton...

Bob Griffiths
..

bridger

In article ,
Jack Fearnley wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
Jack Fearnley wrote:

Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C

http://tinyurl.com/crnpy

I am not asking the group anything Sears can tell me. I already phoned them.
They certainly wouldn't share anything negative about quality or know about
resale prices.

While I don't know much about turning, I'm not asking the group to teach me.
I read lots of useful information about different models of equipment on
this group and I was hoping to get some guidance.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

Jack- it's a fine starter lathe at a decent price. if you don't enjoy
turning you will be able to get your money back out of it. if you do
enjoy turning you can make enough stuff on it to pay for a better lathe.
go ahead, buy it. the craftsman chisels are completely serviceable- you
may even want to keep them when you sell the lathe. heck, you may find
that the lathe meets your needs exactly and just keep it....
AAvK

==========================
Very true... I have my Dads Craftsman 6 inch thickness planer "on
display" in my shop... Manufactured in 1939.... whcih makes it 4
years older then I am... Anyhow I was going to restore it .after I
saw that Sears had the parts.... LISTED ! BUT not available...

It still works..BTW.... and IT has to weight close to a ton...

Bob Griffiths
.

That is interesting from both of you as experienced, they list the parts as
"in stock", so in many cases they are not! I have learned. You'd think they
were smart enough to use a bar code system that would auto-update the
stock list that would update the website for cripes sakes, that should "urk"
anyones goat!

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

Thanks to all for the prompt feedback. I have decided against the purchase.
When I am ready for it I'll buy a decent lathe and learn properly on it.

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

Just to mention it for learning level and price, the current Sears lathes are
designed and made by Palmgren (USA), made in the east, same with several
other Sears bench top tools. http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/index.html

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

WhiteBuffalo32

Jack Fearnley wrote:
I am looking at a Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C that a guy wants to
sell for $200 Canadian (about $150 US). It is on a stand and comes with
Craftsman chisels of unknown quality.

Jack
I'd bought a used craftsman lathe and chisel set and it was a great
starter for me
I bought it for $150 and sold it for $125 without the chisel set
I used it for a 3 years untill I upgraded to a used "old Delta/Rockwell
which has served me well for the last 14 years
If you figure the chisel set and stand are worth about $ 99 each new
your looking at a decent deal for $150.
If you can knock it down lower - the deal may turn into a gloat

BTW the chisels are still in my shop -
although they're starting to look pretty short and will probally retire
soon
They always worked well for me

Jim