Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default buying lathe, craftsman?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:28:58 -0600, Tom Huntress wrote:

Hi,

I have a little money saved and would like to get a lathe. I have between
400 and 700 u.s. dollars. I know that is not much, but I'd like to know
what my options are, if I have any at all. Could someone advice me on this.
Thanks,.

The best I've seen for that price is a General mini-lathe. It has a
swivel head and an outboard swing of about 18-19". Electronic variable
speed as well. I bought one and am quite happy with it. IIRC, it was
around $550. I think you can get a bed extension for it if you want to
turn long spindles.