Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Anybody out There?

Haven't seen a new message for a while. Is anybody posting, or did
Telus cut me of from this group as well?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 16, 10:51 am, Ralph wrote:
Haven't seen a new message for a while. Is anybody posting, or did
Telus cut me of from this group as well?

I think it's just slow. It seems to be everywhere for one reason or
another.

On the woodworking ng, real posts have slowed due to the avalanche of
spam. It has lasted longer and in higher volume than I have ever
seen, and it shows no sign of letting up.

On the bbq ng, there are a couple of real bullies there, and if you
don't agree with them and the way they cook meat, they really come
down on you hard. In fact, there is a guy that will literally offer
to fight you if you challenge him on his technique. He'll even meet
you. After one of those nasty little snits come up (after all, it's
just barbecue) and the offer for a fist fight is thrown down, it is
really quiet there for a while.

It seem like more and more on the moderated forums that they are
turning into private clubs. There isn't anything wrong with that if
that's where the owners want that to go. But they have a real pecking
order and hierarchy, and even have certain guys that are expected to
respond to certain aspects of different issues as the resident
experts. Others don't bother to voice their opinions much anymore.

And since none of the above roll out the red carpet to anyone new to
the venue on a consistent basis, no new blood sticks around.
According to Google, this is a medium activity newsgroup with 823
subscribers. How many unsubscribed readers must there be?

I'll bet there are about 10 people here that do 90% of the posting.
If they are all busy it is slow indeed.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
On Apr 16, 10:51 am, Ralph wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I was beginning to think that Telus cut out all newsgroup service.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message
,
" writes
SNIP
According to Google, this is a medium activity newsgroup with 823
subscribers. How many unsubscribed readers must there be?

I'll bet there are about 10 people here that do 90% of the posting.
If they are all busy it is slow indeed.

Robert

Hi Robert

The problem you have is that Google in this case do not have a clue.
This is not a Google group it is USENET, so they would have no idea at
all as to how many people read the news here. All they can do is count
the number of people who access the group through their system.

As to why its quite - they're all off creating their next masterpiece
I would do the same ,, but when its warmer
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:51:11 GMT, Ralph wrote:

Haven't seen a new message for a while. Is anybody posting, or did
Telus cut me of from this group as well?

There have been a few posts but not the usual amount...
If you haven't seen ANY, you have an issue with Telus, I guess..

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:58:58 +0100, John wrote:

In message
,
" writes
SNIP
According to Google, this is a medium activity newsgroup with 823
subscribers. How many unsubscribed readers must there be?

I'll bet there are about 10 people here that do 90% of the posting.
If they are all busy it is slow indeed.

Robert

Hi Robert

The problem you have is that Google in this case do not have a clue.
This is not a Google group it is USENET, so they would have no idea at
all as to how many people read the news here. All they can do is count
the number of people who access the group through their system.

As to why its quite - they're all off creating their next masterpiece
I would do the same ,, but when its warmer

Here in Baja I'm spending all the time I can in the shop while the temperature
is moderate, in the mid-80's... another month and every day is an A/C day...

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:51:11 GMT, Ralph wrote:

Haven't seen a new message for a while. Is anybody posting, or did
Telus cut me of from this group as well?

There have been a few posts but not the usual amount...
If you haven't seen ANY, you have an issue with Telus, I guess..

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Thanks Mac. I guess that this slow period just coincided with Telus's
dropping their Binaries service. Guess i"m going to find a new provider
if I want pictures. ;(

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 16, 11:58 am, John wrote:

Hello, John. You posted:

The problem you have is that Google in this case do not have a clue.
This is not a Google group it is USENET, so they would have no idea at
all as to how many people read the news here. All they can do is count
the number of people who access the group through their system.

I posted: " According to Google, this is a medium activity newsgroup
with 823 subscribers. How many unsubscribed readers must there be?"

I didn't say it was a Google group. Google actually purchased the
newgroup archives and history for this and many hundreds more from
Deja.com in 2001. This group was actually one of the pioneer craft
groups, along with the woodworking group. Both started around '97 or
so, shortly after Deja.news became a portal to usenet service.

However, that being said, I use Google as a reader for this group
since my ISP has continual problems (ATT/DSL) with its news group
access. Google as a reader isn't great, but it is better than some
services I have tried. If you take a few minutes to look it over, the
Google reader isn't bad for the price. And it makes searching the
archives of the groups I participate in ridiculously simple.

As to why its quite - they're all off creating their next masterpiece
I would do the same ,, but when its warmer

I wish I was. I am home for lunch, then back to the salt mill. BUT,
this weekend I will be trying out some new goodies I purchased from
PSI like a "pretend" Steb center, and some other stuff. I am pretty
excited about it.

I also bought some new stuff for my Jet mini (do they ever become
obsolete?) that could really improve its performance. I am looking
forward to posting good results from all my purchases - maybe crossing
my fingers a bit, too.

So.... post more John! How long have you been turning? What kind of
things do you like to turn?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:07:51 GMT, Ralph wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:51:11 GMT, Ralph wrote:

Haven't seen a new message for a while. Is anybody posting, or did
Telus cut me of from this group as well?

There have been a few posts but not the usual amount...
If you haven't seen ANY, you have an issue with Telus, I guess..

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Thanks Mac. I guess that this slow period just coincided with Telus's
dropping their Binaries service. Guess i"m going to find a new provider
if I want pictures. ;(

I've been real happy with APN... Great service for $3 a month..
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message
,
" writes

So.... post more John! How long have you been turning? What kind of
things do you like to turn?

Robert

Me , I've only been turning on and off since September, But much of
that time has been spent collecting tools for the workshop, and we all
need tools. Second issue is Space unlike many of these workshops I see
members from the States using, mine is probably smaller than most of
your wood piles At a whopping 12ft x15ft exterior. Which also stores
2 motorcycles and 2 Freezers and all the rest of my tools, and quite a
bit of wood I have been accumulating. Luckily I have 2 cellars in the
house, which would be better described as tall crawl spaces. Which have
now been filled with wood I have processed for my 20 year plan

But back to what I like to turning. I really haven't had much time, let
alone space, and apart from that its rather cold in the unheated
workshop. Currently sitting at 50F outside which is good. Last week
there was snow

I have played with Bowls, Winged bowls and a little shallow hollowing,
miniature goblets etc. At present all my intent is to get a feel for the
tools, and experimenting with what finishes I prefer. As nothing is
intended to be sold its only me that I have to please Besides my
excuse is actually I had to wait 4 months to get my new Trend Airshield
(picked it up earlier in the week)

I remember the other week "is wood turning addictive" I categorically
say no Just because I now have virtually all the woodworking tools I
wanted, and a small metalworking lathe to go with it. Again I say No,
not addictive

The problem I have today is I am off to collect a second lathe, though
as its 3phase I need to sort out a phase converter ideally with speed
control. And then Saturday more tree trunks arriving which will need
processing.

After typing this I wonder if I will ever get time to turn the wood

--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I remember the other week "is wood turning addictive" I categorically say
no Just because I now have virtually all the woodworking tools I
wanted, and a small metalworking lathe to go with it. Again I say No, not
addictive

The problem I have today is I am off to collect a second lathe, though as
its 3phase I need to sort out a phase converter ideally with speed
control. And then Saturday more tree trunks arriving which will need
processing.

Definitly not! I don't see you doing anything at all that might be
considered addicting. And everyone needs multiple lathes because if one goes
down, you should have a backup. And there is no problem with huge stock
piles of wood either, if you never get to turn it, you can always use it to
keep the house warm.
Addicting? Absolutely not, I call it practical, smart, planning ahead,
building for the future.

Good luck with you new found addiction, err I mean hobby.

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , JD
writes
Definitly not! I don't see you doing anything at all that might be
considered addicting. And everyone needs multiple lathes because if one
goes down, you should have a backup. And there is no problem with huge
stock piles of wood either, if you never get to turn it, you can always
use it to keep the house warm.
Addicting? Absolutely not, I call it practical, smart, planning ahead,
building for the future.

Good luck with you new found addiction, err I mean hobby.

JD

Now if you know where I can buy a 4 Dimensional workshop, I could put
one to great use
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
John writes:

After typing this I wonder if I will ever get time to turn the wood

That's the problem (if you can call it that) that I'm running into.
Since getting the lathe in December, I've been keeping my eye out
for wood sources. So far, I've had a good spring.

The problem is that I'm an out of shape, middle-aged desk jockey,
and lately I've been stopping here and there on the way home from
the day job to load up some more of the spring "clear the overgrown
areas" wood. The recent batch being about a mile down a bike trail,
by wheel barrow. Then I go home and unload the wood, perhaps restack
parts that I wasn't so careful about, and seal the endgrain if I'm
not exhausted yet.

After that, I just want to crash on the couch.

I haven't had the time to practice sharpening the chisels, much
less time to turn any wood. Maybe this weekend.

--
Drew Lawson | I told them we had learned to change
http://www.furrfu.com/ | I told them they should learn from us
| what should I tell them now?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 17, 5:17 am, John wrote:

SNIP

Sounds like you are right in the thick of turning! You might be
surprised about selling a few things now and then. You might hint
around at holidays or birthdays that you could sell something or make
something as a "one of a kind, unique" gift for someone. I am
certainly not a professional turner, but I sell a fair amount of stuff
every year. After doing it for several years now, I am probably at
the break even point on chucks, gouges, different spur points,
faceplates, and all the other stuff I "need" along the way.

The problem I have today is I am off to collect a second lathe, though
as its 3phase I need to sort out a phase converter ideally with speed
control.

I copied this from another thread on the woodworking ng, and it might
be helpful to you in purchasing the new 3 phase machine.

****************************
You might consider buying a VFD to run it instead of putting the money into a motor. You can buy one VFD and use it to power several 3 phase machines, one at a time. Great deal for a one man shop. With 3 phase available you open up a new world of machines you can buy often buy cheap, and sometimes

are not offered in single phase. No affiliation but try here.
http://www.driveswarehouse.com

****************************

After typing this I wonder if I will ever get time to turn the wood

You have to "make" time. Collecting stuff including wood and new
tools is very time consuming!

Stay with us John, and let us know how things are progressing across
the pond.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message
,
" writes

The problem I have today is I am off to collect a second lathe, though
as its 3phase I need to sort out a phase converter ideally with speed
control.

I copied this from another thread on the woodworking ng, and it might
be helpful to you in purchasing the new 3 phase machine.

I just collected it , cost a small fortune at $10

****************************
You might consider buying a VFD to run it instead of putting the
money into a motor. You can buy one VFD and use it to power several 3
phase machines, one at a time. Great deal for a one man shop. With 3
phase available you open up a new world of machines you can buy often
buy cheap, and sometimes

are not offered in single phase. No affiliation but try here.
http://www.driveswarehouse.com

That's one of my next steps , determine the cost against just changing
the motor. Or selling both lathes towards something even bigger

You have to "make" time. Collecting stuff including wood and new
tools is very time consuming!

I have my days planned as soon as there is room to work and its a lot
warmer 9am turning till 12 BBQ then relax till the next day

Stay with us John, and let us know how things are progressing across
the pond.

I am sure I will be around for a while , unless I buy too many tools

--
John