Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Alcohol Drying - David R. Smith blog on subject

Don't know if this url was included in the Alcohol Drying
Thread but if it wasn't it's worth checking out

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
Don't know if this url was included in the Alcohol Drying
Thread but if it wasn't it's worth checking out

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/

How about a drink of distilled spirits, which should cause you to conclude
that alcohol does not speed up evaporation of the less volatile liquid, else
it wouldn't distill?

Of course, driving there would also involve gasoline distilled by
differential evaporation....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Like any 'Ole Soak' it's not easy for a wet bowl to dry out. They both
have to want to for the process to work, but it has been done by many
drunks and woodturners. I recognize the difference.

I've never sent a wet bowl to AA, but it's a thought and not much worse
than some other timber drying methods. They all have their zealous
missionaries so it's a matter of choosing (or refusing) any sect.

Guess I should at least get my bowl cleaned up in LDD before it attends
its first AA meeting.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have done extensive soakings in both LDD (soap) and DNA. I can't
tell that there is any effect at all with either in drying time, wood
movement, or less cracking. The DNA soaking does tend to make the wood
a bit harder to sand out, and the LDD does make it a lot easier to
sand out. I do turn my bowls to final thickness (about 1/4 to 3/8
thick), soak, let dry and warp (about 10 days), then sand and finish.
If you rough turn and then soak, it may make some difference, but that
isn't my style. Mostly, if it is cracking, then you are drying too
fast, and if it is molding, then you are drying too slow.
robo hippy

On Dec 16, 6:59 am, (Arch) wrote:
Like any 'Ole Soak' it's not easy for a wet bowl to dry out. They both
have to want to for the process to work, but it has been done by many
drunks and woodturners. I recognize the difference.

I've never sent a wet bowl to AA, but it's a thought and not much worse
than some other timber drying methods. They all have their zealous
missionaries so it's a matter of choosing (or refusing) any sect.

Guess I should at least get my bowl cleaned up in LDD before it attends
its first AA meeting.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:35:25 GMT, "George" wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message
Don't know if this url was included in the Alcohol Drying
Thread but if it wasn't it's worth checking out

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/

How about a drink of distilled spirits, which should cause you to conclude
that alcohol does not speed up evaporation of the less volatile liquid, else
it wouldn't distill?

Of course, driving there would also involve gasoline distilled by
differential evaporation....

Well, it IS a diuretic.. rofl

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reporting a negative result with alcohol drying.(for fun only) Arch Woodturning 8 May 20th 06 04:29 AM
Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood Fred Holder Woodturning 31 May 19th 06 11:25 AM
Alcohol Drying Dave W Woodturning 20 January 9th 06 09:17 PM
Alcohol Drying (OT) long Ghodges2 Woodturning 14 November 28th 04 07:00 AM