Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default You HAVE to see this man's work - amazing!

Found this amazing carver on deviantart.com (as in deviating
from the norm and not as in pervert). He has a site, in Russian.
I didn't think there were any carvers that could do this quality of
work anymore. WRONG!

http://www.firsanov.ru/

here's some more

http://mfirsanov.deviantart.com/

If you want the Russian translated to english - cut the
..ru address from this message then go here

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

and paste it in the "Translate a Web page" box.

Most if this mans work isn't turning - but some
appear to start with a turning.

Figure on spending an hour - at least - exploring
this man's work. To have the skill to make such
things is incredible. To have the soul to conceive
of them - astounding. To have both in one person
- almost unbelievable.

charlie b

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlieb wrote:

Found this amazing carver on deviantart.com (as in deviating
from the norm and not as in pervert). He has a site, in Russian.
I didn't think there were any carvers that could do this quality of
work anymore. WRONG!

http://www.firsanov.ru/

Stunning. An hour isn't enough.

Geoff Beale
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have found video of Yuriy Firsanov's works : http://www.youtube.com/user/mfirsanov
In this page you can see the following works: NIGHT GUEST, ENTR'ACTE
and CROW.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:26:19 -0800, charlieb
wrote:

Found this amazing carver on deviantart.com (as in deviating
from the norm and not as in pervert). He has a site, in Russian.
I didn't think there were any carvers that could do this quality of
work anymore. WRONG!

http://www.firsanov.ru/

here's some more

http://mfirsanov.deviantart.com/

If you want the Russian translated to english - cut the
.ru address from this message then go here

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

and paste it in the "Translate a Web page" box.

Most if this mans work isn't turning - but some
appear to start with a turning.

Figure on spending an hour - at least - exploring
this man's work. To have the skill to make such
things is incredible. To have the soul to conceive
of them - astounding. To have both in one person
- almost unbelievable.

Well, that *is* some very impressive work- by why on Earth would you
have thought that no one could do it anymore? With enough practice, I
bet you could do it, too- there are any number of examples in wood,
stone, and cast bronze all over. I forget the fellas name, but
there's another carver in Europe (Venice, IIRC) who carves realistic
clothing from wood, for some reason I could never fathom. While it
doesn't make a lot of sense to me, he is able to carve a crumpled up
shirt draped over the edge of a table so convincingly, you have to
take a second look to make sure it's really made of wood.

If you think about it, it's not that surprising- any kind of realism
can be taught, and while it indicates a lot of patience and manual
skill to get to the level of the masters of the carving art, you can
still take classes that will teach you every technique needed to do
the same work. Same thing with drawing and painting- most art
students that I've met are perfectly capable of exactly reproducing
masterworks in thier media of choice. The trick is to make something
new under the sun, which is the real hard part- the rest is just care
and attention to detail.

Of course, that is not to say that the guy is not superb at his art-
he obviously is. I'm just not surprised that he is, someone has to
be!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:16:48 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

Snip
I forget the fellas name, but
there's another carver in Europe (Venice, IIRC) who carves realistic
clothing from wood, for some reason I could never fathom. While it
doesn't make a lot of sense to me, he is able to carve a crumpled up
shirt draped over the edge of a table so convincingly, you have to
take a second look to make sure it's really made of wood.

Might have been the guy on one of the Lee Valley covers that carved those
leather jackets?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 2, 1:28 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:16:48 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

Well if you have time and inspiration, you can do anything, have a
look at this turner/sculptor.

http://www.johnmacnab.ca/index.php

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

SnipI forget the fellas name, but
there's another carver in Europe (Venice, IIRC) who carves realistic
clothing from wood, for some reason I could never fathom. While it
doesn't make a lot of sense to me, he is able to carve a crumpled up
shirt draped over the edge of a table so convincingly, you have to
take a second look to make sure it's really made of wood.

Might have been the guy on one of the Lee Valley covers that carved those
leather jackets?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 2, 5:41 pm, "
wrote:
On Dec 2, 1:28 pm, mac davis wrote: On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:16:48 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

Well if you have time and inspiration, you can do anything, have a
look at this turner/sculptor.

http://www.johnmacnab.ca/index.php

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

And if you would like to make some wooden "ANYTHING" you go and see
this guy !!.
If you have the time and determination, and some $$$$$$ you could get
some wooden "whatever you desire" ;-

http://www.liviodemarchi.com/index.htm

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

SnipI forget the fellas name, but
there's another carver in Europe (Venice, IIRC) who carves realistic
clothing from wood, for some reason I could never fathom. While it
doesn't make a lot of sense to me, he is able to carve a crumpled up
shirt draped over the edge of a table so convincingly, you have to
take a second look to make sure it's really made of wood.

Might have been the guy on one of the Lee Valley covers that carved those
leather jackets?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I should've known better than to say "I didn't know there were still
people who could do this kind of work."

There's a guy who used to hang out in rec.woodworking - Tom Plamann.
He sat in on a meeting between a client and their architect and interior
decorator. The client had a photo of a colonial fireplace mantle she
wanted - dentil molding, flutes - details EVERYWHERE. Both the
decorator
and the architect told the client there were no longer any craftsmen
capable of making what she wanted. Tom bit his tongue and asked if
he could have a photo copy of the piece - nothing more.

Then he went home and made one. Took a picture of it with him
leaning against it. E-mailed the photo to the architect and decorator
with one line of text "Yes there are." Subsequent e-mailed queries
were answered with "Not for sale." The mantle is now his daughter's
headboard.

check out the column on this page
http://www.plamann.com/home.html

here's the "fireplace surround" mentioned
http://www.plamann.com/fireplacesurround.html

and if you want to see something you probably won't
see often - check out the Groined Ceiling

There are still very talented people who not only have the skills
and knowledge to do exceptional work - but also spend the time
- however long that is - to do it right.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlieb said:

Great story snipped.

There are still very talented people who not only have the skills
and knowledge to do exceptional work - but also spend the time
- however long that is - to do it right.

But who is willing to PAY them for it? Especially when there exists
others who will slop it out for a third the price.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

there are those who will pay for quality, and those who only want cheap.
Some of us learn that in many cases cheap is not the same as low cost. A
cheap tool that breaks is more expensive than a quality tool that cost 5X
but doesn't break. A cheap painting that hangs on the wall is not less
costly than an expensive painting that brings you joy.

"Greg G." wrote in message
charlieb said:

Great story snipped.

There are still very talented people who not only have the skills
and knowledge to do exceptional work - but also spend the time
- however long that is - to do it right.

But who is willing to PAY them for it? Especially when there exists
others who will slop it out for a third the price.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Greg wrote:

charlieb said:

Great story snipped.

There are still very talented people who not only have the skills
and knowledge to do exceptional work - but also spend the time
- however long that is - to do it right.

But who is willing to PAY them for it? Especially when there exists
others who will slop it out for a third the price.

Greg G.

About the same percentage as 1000 years ago.... The difference it the
crappy homes built 100, 200, 300 years ago are gone

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Old Man's Hands Tom Watson Woodworking 40 June 24th 07 12:21 AM
You Hav To See This Man's Work To Believe It - honest charlie b Woodworking 45 September 15th 06 10:39 AM
The "Ultimate" Man's Hammer? J T Woodworking 0 September 25th 05 03:06 AM
OT-One in 25 men might be raising another man's child Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 2 August 11th 05 03:09 PM
Dead Man's Tools Tom Watson Woodworking 35 July 20th 03 03:59 PM