Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default You HAVE to see this man's work - amazing!

I should've known better than to say "I didn't know there were still
people who could do this kind of work."

There's a guy who used to hang out in rec.woodworking - Tom Plamann.
He sat in on a meeting between a client and their architect and interior
decorator. The client had a photo of a colonial fireplace mantle she
wanted - dentil molding, flutes - details EVERYWHERE. Both the
decorator
and the architect told the client there were no longer any craftsmen
capable of making what she wanted. Tom bit his tongue and asked if
he could have a photo copy of the piece - nothing more.

Then he went home and made one. Took a picture of it with him
leaning against it. E-mailed the photo to the architect and decorator
with one line of text "Yes there are." Subsequent e-mailed queries
were answered with "Not for sale." The mantle is now his daughter's
headboard.

check out the column on this page
http://www.plamann.com/home.html

here's the "fireplace surround" mentioned
http://www.plamann.com/fireplacesurround.html

and if you want to see something you probably won't
see often - check out the Groined Ceiling

There are still very talented people who not only have the skills
and knowledge to do exceptional work - but also spend the time
- however long that is - to do it right.

charlie b