Posted to rec.woodworking

Default You Hav To See This Man's Work To Believe It - honest

Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop.
Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again.

*Yawn* Seen all that before.

Just kidding. Pretty spectacular.

"Finger joints"-- hahaha.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop.
Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.

charlie b

I particularly like the finger joints.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A penny saved is a penny.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote

Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

I am staring at the two hunks of ham at the end of each arm. Compared to
this guy, I am an amputee. This guy has taken some hand crafts to a whole
new level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

I particularly like the finger joints.

I like the edges of his work ... beautifully honest.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. (SNIP)

Beautiful work. Shows to go ya that the skill level of woodworkers has
great variation.
Earl Creel

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

I particularly like the finger joints.

I like the edges of his work ... beautifully honest.

Ditto. Perfectly machined edges are glaring to me these days.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

Damn, and I thought I knew at least a little about furniture making

As did I. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie, thanks for pointing that one out. Amazing stuff alright.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop.
Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.

Yep. They don't make them like they used to...oh wait, this guy is
alive?!

He combines superlative skill, an eye for proportion and design, and a
sense of humor. I wonder if he has a sister....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
charlie b wrote:
[...]

If she has the skills and talents of her brother, she would be worthless in
other regards....................

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b (in ) said:

| After you spend an hour or so on
| Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
| guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
| his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

Interesting site! Thanks for posting the link.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I am staring at the two hunks of ham at the end of each arm. Compared to
this guy, I am an amputee. This guy has taken some hand crafts to a whole
new level.

I have to say I'm feeling a bit inadequate myself. What an incredible
craftsman.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Bugg wrote:
John B wrote:

Damn, and I thought I knew at least a little about furniture making

As did I. :-)

FOR SALE:
I shed load of wood working tools, Only used by a complete amateur.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop.
Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.

charlie b

Its his patience that I admire - I have so little.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I am staring at the two hunks of ham at the end of each arm. Compared to
this guy, I am an amputee. This guy has taken some hand crafts to a whole
new level.

To me, there is nothing wrong with having an attitude that "I am good at
what I do. Not the best, but pretty good."

I do have an attitude with people who say, "I'm the best."

I believe if you involved Mr. Yazawa in a conversation, he would say, "Oh, I
have a lot to learn," or "There are some who are far better than I," or
'Thank you, but I am only a beginner."

True talent on this scale is always tempered with modesty.

Untalented people always amuse me with their lack of humility.

You, Mr. Michaels are a person I am impressed with as much as Mr. Yazawa.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can anyone give me an idea of how his "Trick Joint Box" goes together?
It looks impossible! And how are those paper thin fingers cut?

Amazing is an expression of my limited vocabulary.

Jim
"charlie b" wrote in message
Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop.
Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
True talent on this scale is always tempered with modesty.

Untalented people always amuse me with their lack of humility.

Bull****. I lack talent and have plenty of humility. In fact, it's my finest
feature.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
True talent on this scale is always tempered with modesty.

Untalented people always amuse me with their lack of humility.

Bull****. I lack talent and have plenty of humility. In fact, it's my
finest feature.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Why would I not expect that from someone with your name?

knock on wood

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodhead wrote:
Can anyone give me an idea of how his "Trick Joint Box" goes together?
It looks impossible! And how are those paper thin fingers cut?

There's a picture of him hand cutting them with a saw. Looked easy
enough. I mean, come on, one tool - how hard could it be?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodhead wrote:

Can anyone give me an idea of how his "Trick Joint Box" goes together?
It looks impossible! And how are those paper thin fingers cut?

Amazing is an expression of my limited vocabulary.

Jim

Miter the corners of the box, glue it up then make saw
cuts acrossed the corners. Plane stock down to the
width of the saw kerf - in this case in the thin veneer
range, slip pieces in the saw kerf with a LITTLE bit of
thinned glue and wait. when the glue dries pare off
the excess and carefully scrape or plane off any high
bits of veneer. the idea is simple. the execution at
this size is probably not simple.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

simply mindblowing.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
Woodhead wrote:

Can anyone give me an idea of how his "Trick Joint Box" goes together?
It looks impossible! And how are those paper thin fingers cut?

Amazing is an expression of my limited vocabulary.

Jim

Miter the corners of the box, glue it up then make saw
cuts acrossed the corners. Plane stock down to the
width of the saw kerf - in this case in the thin veneer
range, slip pieces in the saw kerf with a LITTLE bit of
thinned glue and wait. when the glue dries pare off
the excess and carefully scrape or plane off any high
bits of veneer. the idea is simple. the execution at
this size is probably not simple.

That's a splined miter, a many splendored but still splined miter.
Here's a picture showing what the guy in question does - true finger
joints the width of a saw blade.
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/jointwork.html Looks like he had
a little blow-out, but that's the wabi in his work.
http://c2.com/w4/wikibase/?WabiSabi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Sep 2006 19:52:14 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

That's a splined miter, a many splendored but still splined miter.
Here's a picture showing what the guy in question does - true finger
joints the width of a saw blade.
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/jointwork.html Looks like he had
a little blow-out, but that's the wabi in his work.

The site uses frames, this is the link you wanted (I think):

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/hishigata.html

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour"
That's a splined miter, a many splendored but still splined miter.
Here's a picture showing what the guy in question does - true finger
joints the width of a saw blade.
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/jointwork.html Looks like he had
a little blow-out, but that's the wabi in his work.

Leuf
The site uses frames, this is the link you wanted (I think):
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/hishigata.html
-Leuf

Again, Its his patience that I admire. I'd have to make a machine to do
that!
But it would not be Wabi Sabi! (Imperfect)
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That's a splined miter, a many splendored but still splined miter.
Here's a picture showing what the guy in question does - true finger
joints the width of a saw blade.
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/jointwork.html Looks like he had
a little blow-out, but that's the wabi in his work.

The site uses frames, this is the link you wanted (I think):

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/hishigata.html

-Leuf

Looking closely at the second and third picture on the page
Leuf provided I stand corrected. He didn't take the easy
way with veneer thin "splines". He actually cut ectremely fine
finger/box joints - and on a mitered corner at that. This man
is amazing! To think up this joint is impressive. To be able
to actually make it - even if the "fingers" were twice the width
of those he actually made - is astounding. A very good designer,
a wonderful eye for wood AND the woodworking skills to do
this level of work. Truly a rare combination.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b writes:

Miter the corners of the box, glue it up then make saw
cuts acrossed the corners. Plane stock down to the
width of the saw kerf - in this case in the thin veneer
range, slip pieces in the saw kerf with a LITTLE bit of
thinned glue and wait.

That's not what he did on this one. Jaw-dropping.

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa...sh/paperde.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That's a splined miter, a many splendored but still splined miter.
Here's a picture showing what the guy in question does - true finger
joints the width of a saw blade.
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/jointwork.html Looks like he had
a little blow-out, but that's the wabi in his work.

The site uses frames, this is the link you wanted (I think):

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/hishigata.html

Indeed. Thanks for the correction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message

Looking closely at the second and third picture on the page
Leuf provided I stand corrected. He didn't take the easy
way with veneer thin "splines". He actually cut ectremely fine
finger/box joints - and on a mitered corner at that. This man
is amazing! To think up this joint is impressive. To be able
to actually make it - even if the "fingers" were twice the width
of those he actually made - is astounding. A very good designer,
a wonderful eye for wood AND the woodworking skills to do
this level of work. Truly a rare combination.

Those are all valid points Charlie.

What I would add to the above remarks is that this guy has some amazing
physical skills. Great visual acuity and the delicate touch of a surgeon
would be required. And the patience of Job. And an almost mystical
relationship with tools and wood.

The list goes on. You can not say enough good things about this man and his
work.

Another thought I have about this level or artisanship and beauty, is it
art? There are always those artistic purists who proclaim that no craftsman
type project ever achieves the status of pure art. I think that many people
would catagorize Kintaro Yazawa's work as true works of art. I know that I
would.

Again I get very humble when I see things like this. My wife, the quilter,
looked at Yazawa's work last night and just proclaimed him to be some kind
of mystical woodworker. Beyond normal abilities and sensibilities. Sort of
an Olympic level artist. Almost beyond our ability to understand or
comprehend.

Now that is good! (Funny that she never says anything about me like that!)

Lee Michaels

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop.
Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.

charlie b

Is it just me, or does this peice appear to be flipping you off?

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa.../fingerde5.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc bc is offline

charlie b wrote:
Woodhead wrote:

Can anyone give me an idea of how his "Trick Joint Box" goes together?
It looks impossible! And how are those paper thin fingers cut?

Amazing is an expression of my limited vocabulary.

Jim

Miter the corners of the box, glue it up then make saw
cuts acrossed the corners. Plane stock down to the
width of the saw kerf - in this case in the thin veneer
range, slip pieces in the saw kerf with a LITTLE bit of
thinned glue and wait. when the glue dries pare off
the excess and carefully scrape or plane off any high
bits of veneer. the idea is simple. the execution at
this size is probably not simple.

charlie b

Check again Charlie, those aren't splined miters like you are
describing, those are honest to goodness fingerjoints- the width of a
sawblade. Even more impressive huh. I'm with John B: shop full of
tools for sale, only slightly used by a rank amateur! bc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not intendng to detract from the man's work (but perhaps to embrace it...),
doesn't his choice of wood and the condition it's in (moisture content,
etc.) have a lot to do with what he can do with the wood? Seems like you
can do lot more when the wood "likes" what you're doing to it and you
don't have to fight it. I know I've had many fights against wood where I
chose material that was too soft/hard/brittle/, too porous, etc. Sometmes
you go where the wood takes you, sometimes you can gently direct the wood.
Brute force seldom seems to help, and more is definitly not better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
Not intendng to detract from the man's work (but perhaps to embrace it...),

Not sure how you could detract from the guy's work. It speaks for
itself far more clearly than a critic could. But it's good for you
sanity to remember that he only shows the work that is up to snuff.

doesn't his choice of wood and the condition it's in (moisture content,
etc.) have a lot to do with what he can do with the wood? Seems like you
can do lot more when the wood "likes" what you're doing to it and you
don't have to fight it. I know I've had many fights against wood where I
chose material that was too soft/hard/brittle/, too porous, etc. Sometmes
you go where the wood takes you, sometimes you can gently direct the wood.
Brute force seldom seems to help, and more is definitly not better.

If you check out the guy's web site you'll see that he uses a wide
variety of woods. Beyond that, any woodworker knows that careful stock
preparation and sharp tools are mandatory for quality work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

Not intendng to detract from the man's work (but perhaps to embrace it...),
doesn't his choice of wood and the condition it's in (moisture content,
etc.) have a lot to do with what he can do with the wood? Seems like you
can do lot more when the wood "likes" what you're doing to it and you
don't have to fight it. I know I've had many fights against wood where I
chose material that was too soft/hard/brittle/, too porous, etc. Sometmes
you go where the wood takes you, sometimes you can gently direct the wood.
Brute force seldom seems to help, and more is definitly not better.

Absolutely and an overlooked subject in most wodworking books, tapes
and magazine articles etc.. Some woods you can use for almost
anything and some shouldn't be used for certain applications. Trying
to do handcut dovetails in soft pine is normally an exercise in
futility,
often discouraging people enough to give up on trying again. BUT -
if
they had the luxury of practicing in mahogany for example, or cherry
or maple the problem with crushing and tearing the wood rather than
cutting or paring it would be significantly reduced or eliminated.

And using SHARP cutting tools, be it chopping dovetails or turning
on a lathe - especially on a lathe is often one more source for
success and satisfaction or failure and frustration.

And stock prep is another often overlooked factor. If you've
ever tried half blinds when one or both parts are either cupped
or twisted, or the ends weren't cut square you'll eventually
figure out that that might be why the joints don't close nice
and neat, or why your box or drawer etc. is out of square
in one or more planes.

Part of the beauty of this man's work is that it requires not
only the skill to make it, but the knowledge of his tools and
wood. We get blown away by technique but seldom realize
the underlying, seldom obvious, knowledge required BEFORE
the first tool touches the wood.

This guy is truly a master woodworker

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How is the Japanese trick box made?

I looked at it, thought it was impossible, then saw the name. Okay...

But how is it made?

I suppose a better question is "how is any of it made", but it is only the
trick box that looks impossible rather than incredible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:

Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's
Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of
the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood
together - well think again. If you think that
if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint
you've seen them all - well think again. If you
think you've already seen the nicest wood there
is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't
possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to
think again. After you spend an hour or so on
Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that
guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of
his craft!

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html

If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop.
Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.

charlie b

Spectacular work.

Japanese saws in the shop of a Japanese guy who lives in Japan - Who'd a
thunk it...

Pete C.